AuthorTopic: Help with my spaceport!  (Read 5060 times)

Offline Supahcool

• View Profile

Help with my spaceport!

on: February 16, 2010, 01:20:29 pm
This is the first time I'm doing pixelart this is the result I got. Something of a space station but I ran out of ideas pretty fast...

Putting this up here for some comments and ideas as I'm really new at this. What would you guys change/add? Is the shading ok?

Reference: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/36828.htm
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:37:42 pm by Supahcool »

Offline Supahcool

• View Profile

Re: Help with my spaceport!

Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 10:27:39 am
There must be things wrong with it? I'd really like to know how you choose the palette so you can make it look like it has many levels and still have the shading right (not mix up or run out of colors). Thanks.

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:52:25 am
It doesn't really look like a spaceport...
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 11:03:43 am
Is it a structure that's on the surface of the planet, seen from the above, or does it orbit a planet in space? I like the pixel work, and the clean shapes and shades so far, I just can't figure out what it is.

Offline Supahcool

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 12:04:49 pm
Yeah, it's something stationed in space looked at from directly on top  :) I can see why it must be difficult to make sense of since there isn't much detail to go with. I tried to make it look like today's space structures, sort of hacked together. I was trying not to follow the Dodonpachi style as it gets really cluttered and difficult to keep track of, but I'd really like to give it some of the detail you get from that style. Still keeping it very simple. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 12:28:50 pm
Alrighty then. A good non-Dodonpachi -like reference for inspiration might be Uridium. I'm kind of itching to see it against a dark space bacground.

Offline Supahcool

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 01:54:33 pm
Hey thanks, that big ship and the general style is what I was  looking for. I like the simplicity, just have to make it a bit more contemporary looking. Know any more such games? I'll see what I can do about putting it against a space background  ;)

Offline Supahcool

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 03:52:18 pm
Well I made some changes and then put it against space itself! Here's the result:

Still seems off. Any thoughts?

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 04:05:38 pm
Whoa. Are you going for a purely pixel art submission, or a hybrid that uses non-pixel art and pixel art?

Given the non-PA background, the image isn't obviously going to be PNG/GIF-friendly.

Offline Supahcool

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 05:31:25 pm
Hehe, no, it's part of a game. I'm hoping to make the artificial stuff (ships etc.) as pixel art while the rest of the environment (space etc.) is kind of photorealistic. A hybrid, yes. I put it up here for scrutiny regarding whether or not it actually resembles a space station and what kind of changes should be made :-\

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 02:14:28 am
I wouldn't say the station looks like one, but in the context it should be pretty obvious. And it will be more interesting for the originality.
Maybe try to wander further from your ref though?

Your light doesn't read very much as spacelike: light in space is usually of the highest contrast. Shadows are mostly hard black. Check some ISS pictures.

I don't think a too realistic bg would fit, the styles might clash and result in a poor global effect.
I'd suggest to look at pure PA starry skies, like these.

Offline Supahcool

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 05:51:45 am
I looked at some ISS pics and compared to that mine surely doesn't look like a station. I figured mine would be something in between what we have today and some sleek stations from science fiction  :P

You're right, the lighting definitely needs to be more extreme. Thanks for pointing out the PA/non-PA problem, there's definitely a style conflict I overlooked. I'm having to redo my whole environment now :( PA space backgrounds look nice but they're a bit out of my reach at the moment. Stuff like <a href="http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/24756.htm>this[/url]  ???