AuthorTopic: Game Development  (Read 6757 times)

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Re: Game Development

Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 04:36:50 pm
Use BYOND.

Wait you said you just came from there... ah how about Arianne?

Stick with BYOND. It's been getting much better over the past couple years. There are other online RPG engines (Secret of Mana-type stuff).  A bunch of spin-offs from a single effort from ten years back, if I recall...

So, uh, what?
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline A2J2TIWARI

• a2j2emerald
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/38048.htm
    • View Profile
    • Art of Aastikya Tiwari

Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 07:43:39 pm
@Kasumi I will agree with you, but it somewhat seems pointless to me to learn programming as a beginner and spend years to get better at it to even be able to make games...

About the tip to spend a month figuring out the working mechanisms of a program like Stencyl or Construct would be a good idea. Also, I'll post about whatever I will work on.

Last time when I downloaded Stencyl and read it's tutorials, and then I tried to make my Lava Jump game, with the graphics I have made. It is a never ending game where player keeps jumping from platform to platform trying to run away from lava, while encountering and fighting various monsters, statues and other obstacles. Well.. I couldnt make it using the same codes that the tutorial shown :P

Now I have a game idea where player has to get to castle, rescue the princess. One the way to the palace where the Princess is captivated, player has to go through forest, a desert and fight various monsters and solve few mazes.

Creating an MMO is way out of your scope, judging from your skillset and experience.
Everyone wants to make an MMO, but few realizes how big a task it really is, it takes years of development where you spend your days working constantly.

Yeah, I realized it as well. I dont have enough motivation to make a big game... I was just interested in the money that the game can earn and I might get..

And after reading Cyangmou's post, whatever I had left has broken. Although, my mind somtimes keeps saying, 'Prove him wrong!'

Stick with BYOND. It's been getting much better over the past couple years. There are other online RPG engines (Secret of Mana-type stuff).  A bunch of spin-offs from a single effort from ten years back, if I recall...

I would agree that BYOND has become a lot better, but still it needs Flash! And due to lack of funds with BYOND it charges to use that feature for distribution, which I think rather should be free so that games can be advertised a lot, easily. Another problem is, the community itself is not too big and everyone is rather too much interested in making and playing RPG games there..

And once again, as I do not know programming, even a bit, I have to rely on someone else to turn my ideas into reality. Due to that I lose motivation a lot, or keep begging other programmers to work with me or they just quit. I am fed up of all that shit! I just want to be independent now.
Love Carnage?: Download Epok Now!
My Work
PonjiRo Now Available on Android: Download PonjiRo

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 06:58:42 am
To me, it looks like :
* Games run on moderately complex logic.  It doesn't matter what engine you use, even in something as simple as OHRRPGCE, everything important is made by constructing a system whose parts interact in logically defined ways.
* If you understand moderately complex logic, you do understand the essence of programming.
* If you don't, you don't understand the essence of programming.
* Either you actually have the most important skills for programming (but not the willingness), or you have neither the skills nor the willingness. Something's gotta change if you intend to actually make games.

Nobody else has been willing to say this as bluntly so far, so..
YES, you definitely are SOL if you both don't program and are unwilling to put a lot of hard work into learning to program. Unless you are paying serious money or are merely a part of a large game-dev team, DIY is virtually the only way to get a system that works the way you want it to. (the other way is 'be ludicrously lucky', or alternatively 'have way-too-low expectations')
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline tcaud

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 04:28:34 pm
BYOND's problem is that it's a pain to program. But yeah if you go MMO that means going freemium. It's not happening.

Why not fool around with ZZT for a while? It has an easy scripting language and you can have fun while you do it. Really though all the game scripting languages are terrible. If you want you can try my game maker addon for Firefox, but it's in beta and has bugs.