AuthorTopic: First pixel art piece  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Sandcastles

• View Profile

First pixel art piece

on: March 18, 2013, 09:45:06 pm
So this is my first attempt at pixel art and i'd just like to know where the main problems with this work are.
I tried using AA like i had read in the tutorials however obviously it didn't really work it out haha. Also i'm sure i did the shading incorrectly so the canoe lacks depth and looks a bit odd in places. Should i be using more hue variation in my palette? Every and all criticism and pointers would be much appreciated thanks!

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: First pixel art piece

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 12:03:04 am
First, you should clean your lines (especially if you use outline, which I personally don't prefer, but that's just me :)) cause this way it looks very messy. Here is a quick edit of your drawing, so you can see how much it improves just by cleaning bad edges.

Second, I remove two colors (one on the top, one on the side) cause they were barely noticeable, and to similar to basic color beneath them. When you choose your pallet, pay attention to contrast between colors.

And final, I'm not an AA expert but I tried to make some quick AA in the top line of the canoe with colors that were already in your work. I'm sure that someone will give you better advice about this.

I hope that this was helpful.  ;D