AuthorTopic: Help with Shading a Train  (Read 1540 times)

Offline SimeonTemplar

• Sutff
    • @simeontggame
    • SimeonTemplar
    • View Profile

Help with Shading a Train

on: August 29, 2016, 04:00:40 pm
Hey guys,

Right now, I am trying to develop a cylinder shaped subway train only using Gameboy (kind of) styled colors. I've got the shape and drawn everything the train will have, but for some reason I can't seem properly shade my train. I did the best based on my understanding of light, and it didn't seem to go out well. Please give me your ideas/tips on how I can properly shade this and anything else next time.

Update: I added some dithering - please tell me which one is better, the one with dithering or without.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:51:12 am by SimeonTemplar »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Help with Shading a Train

Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 02:40:31 am
I'd go for a permutation of the last one, but with stripes instead. Most trains have painted interiors, for one thing, so the bottom half would likely be a different shade than the top. Secondly, you really only /need/ to use that kind of pixel crosshatch to create the illusion of other colors and midtones when working with a limited pallete.
 It can work in other instances, but otherwise it is often way more productive to just use standard shading techniques so long as you can work within your color limitations.

Shadingways, it might be best to work from reference. As it's shaded now, it looks like it's supposed to be domed yet the linework remains flat. Take a look at this picture of a subway with a similar design I found:

I'm assuming you intended some permutation of the BART system, which has a slight "bubbling out" at the middle. the slope is very slight though, and as such there's not much of a shadow cast by it.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |