AuthorTopic: blatent portrait (read inside, you'll see why I called it that)  (Read 6396 times)

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile
well I like this but if someone gives me C+C, I'm going to do it

EDIT: forgot to add the image :P

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Re: blatent portrait (read inside, you'll see why I called it that)

Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 11:33:37 am
Alright, I'm going to make this as blunt as possible, as you don't seem to understand any other form of criticism

This picture is bad. its badly formed, badly shaded and badly coloured. i suggest (or really just repeat what other people have been saying all along) that you get out of pixel art and go back to the basics of drawing (pencil and paper) for awhile and get the fundamental skills you lack.

otherwise stop wasting the forum with this rubbish. and yes, this IS rubbish. if you cannot see that then there is something wrong with you.

Harsh, yes. sorry but the truth often hurts.
____

In other news, 100 posts! woo!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 11:35:44 am by Meta|Fox »

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 11:38:02 am
whats bad about it, instead of throwing a load of crap in my face (not saying what you've told me is crap, just an expression), tell me whats wrong and how to improve it, the only way to learn is to use C+C, and I'm a crap drawer so I can't draw it on paper

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 12:05:12 pm
Blatant.

I'd suggest you return to natural media, namely sketching on paper with a pencil. And keep doing that for 3-4 years, methodically, and by trying to draw from life. You're 12 now, so when you're 16 come back around again, and try your hand at pixel art. What you need to learn at this stage, we and our pixel art critique can't teach you. If you're really serious about learning to draw, consult your parents about taking classes on the subject of art, or just sketch away on your own for the long years it will take for your art to shape up to the degree where nitpicking critique will be useful to you.

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 12:15:46 pm
fine then I will do that, but I will still pixel every now and then

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 12:30:49 pm
whats bad about it, instead of throwing a load of crap in my face (not saying what you've told me is crap, just an expression), tell me whats wrong and how to improve it, the only way to learn is to use C+C, and I'm a crap drawer so I can't draw it on paper

you've gotten a very clear response on what to do the past couple of days. and if you're a crap drawer, as you put it (which actually contradicts antecedent claims of yours), then you have to practice even harder. you want to know what's wrong with your picture? it lacks the fundamentals that are basic requirement for any further critique. there is no way to know where to start on this one. irlogical shading, bad color choices in several extremes (indistinguishable shades here and hopelessly oversaturated contrasty shades there), deformed shapes. as it has been said before, pixel art isn't the best medium for starters, learn to draw first. get controll over your lines, get a feel for shapes, eventually go on to shading and after you've somewhat gotten the hang of things try to go color.
using references is the way to go, but preferably real life objects. it might be harder than drawing stuff from your favourite manga/comic/what have you, but the thing with anything stylized is that it's been derived from the real thing too, and the artists who created them went through it all before. so all you'd get out of that would be automated procedures for a number or generic situations, but no understanding of the matter itself.

edit: argh, two new replies before i was done writing. i'll just cut it off here

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 05:24:47 pm
I don't think you should stop pixeling, to me pixel art is a lot like impressionistic painting.  You absolutely must know all the rules of realistic painting before you can do it WELL, but it is still FUN even if you don't know anything.  However, your current level of proficiency in pixel art is uncrittable.  I don't think that's a word, but I don't know how else to say it.  There is nothing we can say to you that can help this or your other pixel art posts.  Continue pixeling by all means, but just know that there is nothing of value that we can give you until you have advanced quite a bit further.  Good luck, and I look forward to seeing you again in a few years!

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 05:29:53 pm
I'll continue pixelling and being on this forum (I wouldnt be able to stop myself from coming her) I think I'll practice abit by doing the requests of people on the GMC

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 06:05:25 pm
Yes, It's pillow shaded. You really need to stop doing this. shade one side only, lighten one side only. Pick where the lightness comes from and the darkness comes from, neither can come from both...errr at least in your case as it would be hard for you to draw light coming from completely* coming from the back, or shining completely infront like a flashlight pointed at someone...

It's completely out of porportion. The overall parts of the person here look like flat blocks...his head looks flat because you didn't add enough volume to his hair. The actual eye sockets themselves are the wrong shape and his pupils far too large. There are many flaws, but I'll just mention those to begin with.

I would recommend looking at peoples pictures in google and sketching them in pencil as what has been said above. You need to break a persons anatomy down into chunks...A persons head is egg shaped, a persons eyes are rounded slits, the shoulders are oblong shaped balls, the chest is a series of different shapes stacked ontop of one another.

Please go to boarder's or which ever book store is near you and find a basic drawing art book and work from it for quite some time. IF you do not work for many years you will not get better as you'll quit and then your what skills you've gained will diminish. Any form of the arts (music, drawn art, etc) is like a muscle, use it or lose a portion of it and become rusty, unable to gain momentium.

I have drawn art since I was 5 and I'm still not even close to "mastering" pixel art, as mastering something such as this is a life long journey and one cannot truely master something as you can always learn something new.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 06:09:25 pm by Draco9898 »

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 06:16:13 pm
it's not pillow shaded, check again

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 06:38:18 pm
Yes it is. EXTREMELY. Stop denying good crits. GNNRGHAAARGHHH!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 06:49:25 pm
one of the mods should post these more specific bits in the forum rules sticky i think, even though its not often read, just so that you can point to something when people dont follow them.  those of us who have been here more than a few days, we all know them by now, but if someone is new, we cant just assume that they know what we consider common (and its been demonstrated that more than a few people obviously havent heard most of our unwritten guidelines)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 07:36:54 pm
Jesus christ Tomster, stop questioning us. We know ALOT more than you do so dont act like we are stupid or anything. I suggest taking your art elsewhere if you are going to treat us this poorly.
alexander

Offline niceidiot

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 09:03:44 pm
Why do I feel like we are getting Punk'd everytime Tomster posts?  It all seems like a lot of baiting.  He has hijacked this entire message board. For Pete's Sake!

Anyhow, Tomster, if that is your real name  ;) I think you might be well serverd to visit the line art exchange and examine some of the work done there.  Perhaps try coloring a piece using some of the shading techniques that AdamAtomic linked you to in another thread.   

Next, you should carefully read the critiques and examine the edits on your other threads.  Then honestly try to fix something of those previosly posted pieces.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!  Finish the work in those threads before you gunk up the forum with more incomplete, never to be finished crap.

Xs and Os

NiceIdiot

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 09:06:58 pm
Wouldn't it just be a whole lot easier to ban him?

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 09:15:48 pm
why dont they ban you instead of me? ???

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 09:58:09 pm
honestly

just ignore him - right now its just attention seeking
if no one acknoweledges him - since he doesnt care for our suggestions and help - perhaps he will leave

i really didnt want to get caught up in this
but it was bothering me to see some of the other members not respected for their thoughts and suggestions in here