AuthorTopic: New pixel...  (Read 3950 times)

Offline Ken

• \m/ (O_O) \m/
    • View Profile

New pixel...

on: March 21, 2008, 01:49:12 am

Um...i'm not very good but this is one of my better works...I hope to add further pixelations (if thats a word) in the future. :)
And please try to ignore the white background...notify me if I need to fill it in. Thanks.

C&C please.
I...am...re...tarted...SAY WHAT?!?!

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Re: New pixel...

Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 05:38:07 pm
are those MS Pait default colors?
You need to use some AA and... (?)

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:24:38 pm
The hilt seams to be too skinny "opinion"

If it was intended this way then the sword blade is unrealistically oversized but maybe you intended this? I would widen the hilt by at least two pixels.

Other that that the sword kinda reminds me of a simpler version of the crystalis sword NES.
<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 06:05:50 am
Other that that the sword kinda reminds me of a simpler version of the crystalis sword NES.

It's the Master Sword from the Zelda series. ;) I agree that the hilt is too skinny. Also, I think it would be a step in the right direction if you replaced the internal black lines of the blade with shades of gray.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 12:50:53 pm
I would avoid interal and external black outlines altoghether, but its just a matter of choice. it could use some more shading and shading on the bottom espc.

But the design is real cool, great job. :y::)

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 06:56:05 pm
Shiny! shiny! shiny!

More shiny! :D
Unless it's like; a stone sword or something, but I'm guessing it's made of the more traditional steel.
Remember that when shading a steel sword, it is reflecting everything around it, but let's say it's a sunny day,
then the blade would be reflecting mostly sunlight most because it is the brightest source of light.
This is why, when looking at a sword, you don't usually notice all of the other little light particles bouncing off of it;
however, when the sword takes on the shape of a squished diamond of sorts; one side would reflect the sun,
while the opposite side would be reflecting the lesser lights; the sky for example, and since the sky is blue,
you could shade this side of the blade with a blueish tint; which would give it some more character and realism.

To see this for yourself, take a kitchen knife outside and look at how it reflects the light. This could help a lot
when shading any kind of shiny sword. Just remember not to give it too much detail when drawing it, that could
lead to it getting too noisy.

There are many many different situations of course; just use your imagination and some cool looking swords could happen!
Here's an edit to illustrate what I'm saying:

I beefed up the hilt because, like others have mentioned, it was kind of thin.
I also shaded the outlines a little bit to amplify the brightness of the light source.

I hope I've helped in some way, have fun pixeling!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 11:33:35 pm by Kcilc »