AuthorTopic: Working on a game  (Read 9209 times)

Offline Ürch

• I live in dreaming through the hours
    • View Profile

Re: Working on a mockup

Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 08:10:47 pm

changed the edge of the tiles. is that better?

honestly i'm not sure what the green bits inside the bricks are actually 'supposed' to be, i just didn't want the insides of the bricks to be empty.

edit:

removed all of the greenstuff and redid the bg tiles
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:38:39 pm by Ürch »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 08:49:49 pm
If that's the case, I strongly urge you to go back to the drawing board and design tiles with a clear mental image of their physical form how they would look up close. I find it impossible to give meaningful critique if you don't know what you want your tiles to communicate. The only meaningful shapes I can identify (other than the player) are the ladder and what seems to be a spike pit. I will say however, the amount of contrast between the background and foreground is good. Now just figure out how you want to USE that space; don't just fill it with visual noise!

Edit: Oh snap, you updated your post before I submitted my response. Already MUCH more legible!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 04:56:30 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 11:01:32 pm
On top of those recognizable elements, techwexx, there's obvious bricks and support columns everywhere. But when creating tiles these things are the most cliché ideas one can muster. Surely more interesting concepts are waiting out there somewhere.

Offline Ürch

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 11:35:29 pm

Re-did pretty much every tile now after sketching some actual concepts for what I'm doing with this. The skull blocks with the open mouths are traps.

On top of those recognizable elements, techwexx, there's obvious bricks and support columns everywhere. But when creating tiles these things are the most cliché ideas one can muster. Surely more interesting concepts are waiting out there somewhere.

perhaps when i start working on tiles for the deeper-in areas I'll try something a bit more creative.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 05:02:25 am
That's a HUGE improvement! Way more legible and with a strong sense of atmosphere. :)

Mathias, I posted my critique before I saw the newer version with all the green removed. With all the green boxes in there, I seriously couldn't tell they were supposed to be bricks.

Offline Ürch

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 04:19:59 am

some tiles for an area later on in the game.
It's been a while since I posted anything on this thread, or actually since I've worked on anything. I still have absolutely no idea how I'm going to animate Jack.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:06:06 am by Ürch »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Working on a game

Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 05:03:25 am
Your tiles are looking much better. Could use some mossy bricks, crumbled and/or sand coming out and maybe animate some sand leaking from the roof when u walk near some bits to give atmospheric feel. Hard to tell what mood ur trying to set but those sorts of things will help. Are you going to have angle blocks? I think small stairs would work well.
as mentioned, support columns are also needed but make sure they are mostly background colours.
Look forward to seeing more progress...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:08:49 pm by Helm »

Offline Ürch

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 01:35:43 am

just testing something out.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 05:35:30 am
Hey, nice set. A tangible improvement. Good colors. Dark, moody. Even a little better on the pixel tech.

I suggest making the ladders stand out more. They're more interactive and therefore deserve more priority than the same-colored blue bricks. Same may go for the pit spikes. It's nice for the eye to be able to retrieve all the most important information at just a glance. The more work the eye has to do the more "exhasusting", possibly irritating it may be to navigate your levels.

I guess I'll have to see the those two enemies animated before I can tell what they are. Don't understand the light upside-down trapezoid either.

Why not try adding another tile, between the border brick and the dark blue bg tiles.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 02:45:47 pm
Gettin sexy, got some nes batman style reverse colour temperature thing going on there but it looks cool.