AuthorTopic: [C&C] Animated Fire  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Bkeegan

• View Profile
    • FrozenOrange

[C&C] Animated Fire

on: January 08, 2011, 09:57:17 am
I'm trying to improve my skillset. Here is my first stab at an animated fire. It looks OK, but not great. I could use some pointers.

Edit: Turns out the gif export distorted the original image: Here's the individual frames unadulterated.

thanks,

bkeegan
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:20:36 am by Bkeegan »
Images posted under this account are property of Frozen Orange, inc unless stated otherwise

Offline Knight-Pixel

• View Profile
    • Knight Pixel

Re: [C&C] Animated Fire

Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 10:56:18 pm
I like it, you've captured the flickering aspect nicely, and the use of dithering makes it surprisingly smooth for pixel art! If I could make one criticism it seems to be a little too ball-like, if the tongues of fire extended outward a little more it would add more dynamism to the whole thing.
AKA. DorifutoRabbit, RKSavage

Offline Bkeegan

• View Profile
    • FrozenOrange

Re: [C&C] Animated Fire

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 01:24:07 am
You mentioned dithering and it turns out the gif exported distorted my image. I edited the original post to include the frames unadulterated.

My method was to simply redraw each frame attempting to mimic the first frame. This would naturally produce variances which create the 'flickering' effect. I was wondering if anyone had any better methods. Something like fire seems difficult to nail down a method for.
Images posted under this account are property of Frozen Orange, inc unless stated otherwise