AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 248280 times)

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #120 on: March 30, 2007, 10:21:26 pm
You probably can play japanese games by using those swapdiscs. Haven't tried myself, but a friend of mine is playing the japanese custom robo on an european gamecube.

Recently i've been playing God hand and Ace Combat 0 on ps2.... God hand is HARD and MANLY.
The new GTA looks pretty nice btw... tho i think i haven't really finished any of the previous ones.

Not really excited about the new consoles at the moment. I played through zelda on the wii, after which it's been collecting dust. Then played Gow on 360, which took like one night to finish, after which that console has been collecting dust as well.

Waiting for the summer when there's a barrage of new games coming out.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #121 on: March 30, 2007, 10:22:23 pm

However dismissing it simply as a "party toy" is a bit far.  If you can't find the energy to flick your wrist ever so slightly you should perhaps find a gym. 

Excercise should be saved for the gym not for the living room. As for my personal fitness - i am in great health.

I'm off skiing for 8 days tomorow - so its goodbye from me Pixelation!!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #122 on: March 30, 2007, 11:05:38 pm
You mean to tell me that when you get into a game - I mean, reaally get into it - you don't move the controller around a bit unconsciously in an attempt to make your character more responsive. I know I do (Star Fox 64[!]). Wii just brings that motion from subconsciousness to consciousness. I don't have a Wii, or 360, and as far as I care, I will never have a ps3. But 360, being around for the longest of course has the biggest, baddest library so far (of the "next gen," that is), but the Wii and ps3 are still just buds. (Not buddies. The flower kind). I believe that, once both systems pick up, the Wii will quickly outdistance the ps3 in fun factor as well as how many people have them as well as profits made.

Oh, yeah, I'm a Nintendo fanboy, too (though I still want a 360) and so far I haven't regretted it.
[/rant]

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #123 on: March 30, 2007, 11:32:14 pm
Exactly Xion,

You barely have to move your wrist in order to play a game with the Wii.  If you are swinging it like a baseball bat, it's your fault you are tired and you're gonna break your TV.  :D  There's no reason playing a Wii should take any more energy than playing any other console.

What most people seem to be ignoring is the fact that most of the Wii games currently released are just "party toy" type games... Wario Ware, Wii Sports, etc.  It's a good way to demonstrate the system capabilities early into it's launch... but that doesn't necessarily make it exclusive for just that.  Take a look at some of the previews of what is coming out for the Wii, there is plenty to look forward to in all genres.  And we must not forget to mention the virtual console. :)

Take a look at the Nintendo DS.. it too was passed off as a gimmick, and it took over a year before it got it's footing and started being taken seriously... I was one of the few who thought it was gimmicky at first, but now it is without a doubt my favourite handheld of all time (obviously many others agree considering it's sales).  Anyone who passes the DS off as a gimmick obviously hasn't played one enough, and is really missing out.

-Fry
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:47:48 pm by Fry »

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #124 on: March 30, 2007, 11:57:21 pm
One thing i like about the wii controller is that you don't have to hold your hands close together like with other controllers. Increases the amount of possible very relaxed gaming stances.

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Reply #125 on: March 31, 2007, 12:48:52 am
I think Nintendo is terribly underrated. I am not a "fangirl/boy whatever" I have a PS2 and PS1 and Xbox... but I ENJOY playing the Wii. I think it's innovative, creative and fun! I have Enjoyed more Nintendo games than any other system! So that's a personal preference, it's not that I haven't branched out. Someone posted a link earlier comparing all three systems and the popular vote had the Wii winning at like 53%. That's over half for one system. It's just more fun imo!

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #126 on: March 31, 2007, 01:07:13 am
Yes.  I do think the 360 is the best console around right now - but that doesnt mean that i ONLY like 360 games.  There are some awesome ps2 games, MGS2, GTA (liberty city/vice city), guitar hero 2 etc...  I also think the GC had a couple of good games.

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Metroid Prime
Wind Waker
Resident Evil 4*
Ikaruga (unless you have a Japanese Dreamcast [used to say Saturn, woops :P ])
Viewtiful Joe*
Eternal Darkness

*Yes it was ported, but it took em like a year

I'd say it had more than a "couple" good games ;)  If you had a gamecube laying around then it was a really great system to get ports for, because they usually looked much better than their PS2 counterparts, were cheaper, and you could play them with good wireless controllers; my copies of Sands of Time and Alien Hominid are both on the gamecube, for example.  Now, while I am a Nintendo fanboy, I love that the PS2's strongest years by far were 2005 and 2006; if you judge that system by those 2 years alone it is one of the finest systems ever released by anyone ever:

ICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [this list is for 2005-2006 only, ptoing!!]
Shadow of the Colossus
God of War
Gradius V
Guitar Hero
Katamari Damacy
We Love Katamari
GTA: San Andreas
FFXII
Okami
Psychonauts
etc etc

I had to quite literally unpack my ps2 from its box in the closet and hook it back up, and eventually went so far as to replace it with the slim model, just to keep up with the amazing games that were coming out left and right.  It was kind of nice in a way - just as the gamecube's streak of amazing exclusives and gorgeous ports was cooling, the PS2 brought some amazing software to the table.  If you love games, discarding an entire system outright without even finding out what it has to offer is crazy!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 01:30:55 am by AdamAtomic »

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #127 on: March 31, 2007, 01:22:13 am
I think Nintendo is terribly underrated.

wh... seriously? Nintendo's been drooled over since it's release. Far far far far from underrated.

Have you ever even HEARD of the Dreamcast? :P (yeah, i know, it's 'trendy' to like the Dreamcast, bite me.)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #128 on: March 31, 2007, 01:55:27 am
a question for those here that have or have played okami, how does it stack up against twilight princess?
I was hoping for okami to get ported to the wii, but I think I'll just buy a ps2 for it..
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #129 on: March 31, 2007, 02:16:09 am
a question for those here that have or have played okami, how does it stack up against twilight princess?
I think it's pretty damn good, haven't played Twilight Princess for more than 10 minutes though. It's a lot like Zelda games, except, you know, more creative.

I want a Gamecube. Might just have to get a Wii for it's backwards-compatibility. I really want to play Ikaruga and Eternal Darkness. Plus Smash Bros. is pretty much the best 4 person multiplayer that I've played.

PS2 is so damn good, I keep returning to Katamari Damacy, Guitar Hero, and Shadow of the Colossus. Plus I can replay my great PS1 games, like Metal Gear Solid, FFT, and, uh, Shadowman. :P Haven't tried Ico though, I keep looking out for it but it's never at any store. :/ I also have 2 PS1's, how's that for redundant. :-\ One's been peed on one too many times, though.

I have a DS. I have a few good games for it. Sonic Rush and Castlevania and New Super Mario Bros. are the standouts. I do think the DS is a bit gimmicky. The best games on it (IMO, obviously) have nothing to do with the stylus and hardly use the double screens.

God hand is HARD and MANLY.
Yes, very much so. I have to play it again, I only remember repeatedly dying on the first level.  :durr: