AuthorTopic: Dithering on LCD  (Read 8957 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Dithering on LCD

on: October 13, 2008, 10:57:06 pm
Last Christmas I got an LCD monitor. I love it and all, but I'm wondering something about dithering...

I find myself criticizing people for using dithering a lot. Mainly, for using it on things such as glass, or other smooth textures. I don't remember being so critical of dithering before I got my LCD. I suspect it's because LCD is a lot crisper than CRT's, while on CRT's dithering does what it's intended to do -- blend two colors. Some pieces use dithering very well, and it looks great even on an LCD, but most of the time I find dithering on anything other than rough textures offputting.

In conclusion, should I tone back my criticism for dithering since I'm on an LCD? I just never knowing if it's strictly because I'm on an LCD that it looks as bad as it does.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Dithering on LCD

Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 11:50:41 pm
Yeh, the dither on LCD vs CRT is a tricky thing. On a normal CRT you can not even see 50% dither at all, like NOTHING, just becomes a new colour, unless it is a really harsh combo like full black/white, and even then it might just be mid grey. I guess it all depends on the target platform. if you know someone is making something for DS or such which has an LCD you could crit their dithering more if it is harsh.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 07:02:12 am
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
Check these tests to see how LCD monitors alter your pixelviewing experience. Viewing angle has pretty drastic effects on how you see dithering. If you're sitting still the dithering might look allright on the bottom on the screen and completely erranous on the top of the screen. Most LCD monitors have pretty nasty hue changes too unless you have a high end eizo or something. Make sure you use a DVI cable and check if your monitor shows temporal dithering on low black levels. When checking out pixel art for critique, make sure you sit right in front of the screen and have the pixel art in the middle of the screen to see what most CRT users see and so forth.

I waited for years to switch to LCD, and now that i did, i think i should've waited longer. The monitors that can match my 10 year old CRT cost a fortune.

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 07:20:08 am
What lcd monitor did you get huZba?
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins