AuthorTopic: Shadow of the Colossus Piece  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Shadow of the Colossus Piece

on: October 18, 2006, 01:17:54 pm
So I was thinking of making a Shadow of the Colossus site, and I thought I'd do little scenes for each section. This is one scene I did. To note for those who never played it, SotC has a very desaturated style, and is very bright. There is no distinctive lightsource in the game either. I can't provide a reference since I just turned on my PS2 and found a nice view and started pixeling. I plan to maybe add Agro(his horse) into the scene, but not sure if he'd fit without looking too large for the scene.

Trying to replicate the light bleeding and brightness was really hard, and not even sure if I did it right. I'll see if I can find a good screenshot of the game.

EDIT:
Screenshot of the game(not the reference)

Crappy progress
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 09:05:30 am by Dusty »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Shadow of the Colossus Piece

Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 03:30:08 pm
the main figure and the bridge both SCREAM sotc, you definitely achieved your goal there - the sky really works for me too.  The things I would pay attention to as you finish this:

1 - the beam of light - yours appears to grow wider as it goes up, is that intentional?

2 - the cathedral - some of the shapes are pretty hard to make out here I think, especially compared to the bridge - a little love here should help clean it all up

3 - the hero's hair seems a bit flat

great start!

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 03:49:35 pm
Thanks for the reply.

The beam of light was intended to be larger, as it shines out through the clouds and fades down to a point at the end where you've killed a Colossus.

I agree about the temple. It was really hard shaping it out from using the game as a reference because I had to steady hold the camera upwards to see the temple(the game snaps the camera back into place parallel to the ground). I'll try to fix that out.

Ya, I'll fix tha hair too.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 10:11:19 pm
I  like the clouds. Reminds me of shadow of the beast 2.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 09:03:40 am

^ Crappy progress animation, I don't save my progress enough I suppose, but since I don't have a reference that's the best I can offer.
Okay, so I fiddled and fiddled with this picture(and sadly have nothing good to show for it) but I just can't seem to get any of the suggestions done. I've messed with the temple, but because when you play, the light bleeds so much, it really blurs all the details of the temple and what I drew is all that can be made out. I can't seem to do a decent edit of the hero's hair without getting rid of the dirty, desaturated look of his hair in the game.

What I have in plan: adding some cliffs to the right, it seems too empty. Detailing the grass a little perhaps, but I don't see that much problem with it as is. Adding more rays of light, the current one looks like it's casting a direct beam onto the cliff with the way the lighting is done.

By the way, here is a pretty close screen cap of nearly the same shot I luckily found with a quick search of google.