AuthorTopic: Making my Pixel Avatar  (Read 7119 times)

Offline Incendax

• View Profile

Making my Pixel Avatar

on: February 25, 2008, 02:00:08 am
Trying my hand at pixel art, only really dabbled in it before with some game sprites/tiles and whatnot.  Generally I'm a traditional artist but wanted to try to make one of my line art drawings into a pixel avatar.  And chose to limit myself to 16 colours.

Its 100x100 16-colour with a pointless mazy background that I kinda liked irregardless

ORIGINAL:

CURRENT:   <-- Think its good enough for me at the moment
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 08:44:53 pm by Incendax »

Offline VictorR

• Let's fighting love..
    • View Profile

Re: Making my Pixel Avatar

Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 03:57:17 am
Looks really good so far, the lines are just too "thick" ? Clean them up a bit, they look too rough around the chin area.

Offline Incendax

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 08:11:12 pm
I'm not really certain how to make them any thinner, they are generally only 1 pixel wide afterall.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 08:31:33 pm
I think what VictorR is trying to say is the lines look a bit rough. It's not so much that they're rough, just that there needs to maybe be a bit more depth so it's more noticeable. try adding a few more colors or maybe a highlight like on the more defined areas.

Here's an edit I made to show you what I mean.

I'm not saying thats exactly how you should have it, but a brighter color may bring out some definition that may otherwise go unnoticed.

Oh Btw, I love the cell shaded look, works well with this piece.
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline Incendax

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 08:39:15 pm
I understand what you guys mean but I was trying to limit myself to 16 colours at the moment for this picture atleast.  Though I suppose I could just abandon that limit and add some more colours and the problem would probably go away.   Maybe my lines are just not "fixable" with 16 colours.

Also, the highlights sorta make it look like its made out of rubber to me, though you did say you just threw them on there quick.

Oh, and thanks glad you like the cell-shade style on it
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 08:46:52 pm by Incendax »

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 08:56:38 pm
Yeah, maybe make the blues on his head the same color as the glasses and bg, that would give you a few more colors. But yeah it is really nice, very Riddick-esque
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline Incendax

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 09:01:53 pm
Well the blue markings are supposed to be more cyan,  but I can always change it back to that later if I add more total colours.  Maybe ill try doing that and free up 3 colours and see what comes of it.  Thanks!

And Riddick-esque?  How do you mean?  Only Riddick i know of is the "Chronicles of Riddick" movie or whatever it was called

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 10:21:43 pm
Reminds me of Digimon, erm this one.
http://download.lavadomefive.com/members/BigClawz/Digimon-Guilmon33.jpg

<16 colours
<13 colours

For a piece where colour limitations are in mind you aint half wasting your palette, ridded of loads of unwanted colours making room for more shades so you can now shape this character properly. I don't see why you're AAing the shading, do you not see that as a waste of colour? They're so close anway, up the contrast between em and use each colour for a more useful purpose. Tried to alter the palette slightly and make some effort to shape it for examples sake, all in all i've used way less colours than your original.

I do agree too that your line thickness could be better controlled, worked on parts here and there to show how. Indigo's links explain it all.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:08:44 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Incendax

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 11:54:13 pm
I suppose it does in a way, especially since I used the coloured markings no it.  But thankfully its not a digimon.

I made a few changes, trying to thin out the lines a bit, its still 16 colours on my end but i swapped out one of the useless cyan shades for some more shadowing, especially after seeing your example made me realize it could do well to have it.

This come out any better?

=>