AuthorTopic: [WIP] Boat  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Araphace

• View Profile

[WIP] Boat

on: April 08, 2009, 12:32:10 am
Hello, I'm new here :) I've been browsing and I'd thought I'd register and get some critique on my work.

I've been having trouble getting this boat to look... well right, if you know what I mean. Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 01:47:12 am by Araphace »

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: [WIP] Boat

Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 03:49:07 am
Welcome!

Concept-wise, I can only tell it's a boat because of the point at one end. A sail or motor of some sort would add a lot of character! Also, I don't think that most boats are completely flat on the bottom.

Pixel-wise, you seem to have a confused light source and a lot of jaggies in the outline. It wouldn't hurt to read a few tutorials (http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3467.0), especially on anti-aliasing. :D Good luck!
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 04:49:21 am
Look at a reference before you draw something unfamiliar. Here is a picture of an actual boat:

Look at many references to see that a boat is not just a pointed little wall with a floor, it has a specific shape. Instead of critiquing this, and making small edits to it, if you want something that looks good just scrap it and start over with a better shape in mind.

Offline Araphace

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 02:03:00 pm
Thanks for your comments! I'll get straight to work :D