AuthorTopic: [CLOSED]  (Read 6145 times)

Offline Willabee

• Hello, Sweetie!
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt

[CLOSED]

on: February 28, 2015, 04:55:36 pm
-
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:08:50 pm by Willabee »
I'd love to be a part of this and all, but I can't take it. I wish I wasn't so touchy, but the fact is -- I am! So to save you all the trouble, I'm heading out. Thanks for the help so far! It really means a lot :) You're all beautiful, wonderful people with beautiful, wonderful art. Keep it up!

Offline Friend

• View Profile
It's nice. As for c + c, how about try to not make it a joke  ???

Offline Willabee

• Hello, Sweetie!
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
-
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:09:07 pm by Willabee »
I'd love to be a part of this and all, but I can't take it. I wish I wasn't so touchy, but the fact is -- I am! So to save you all the trouble, I'm heading out. Thanks for the help so far! It really means a lot :) You're all beautiful, wonderful people with beautiful, wonderful art. Keep it up!

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile
but it's definitely not up to snuff with the standard here. *shrugs*

Lol...The only standard here is for you to post pixel art.
That being said the purpose of this board is to provide a means to improve upon the art of pixeling, which is the reason things are kinda "serious" as you put it.

Offline Willabee

• Hello, Sweetie!
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
-
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:09:18 pm by Willabee »

Offline Friend

• View Profile
No one here is raving that art has to be serious  ???

We are all here to improve as artists.  A major part of that is developing the technical skills to be able to express fully what we desire.

No one here I know has a condescending attitude, but good critique often seems that way. Those who can trash your work probably care more about your progress than those who coddle you.

Lastly, what was your intention posting?  I understand you where you like to doodle and let you develop personal meaning. That's awesome, but at the same time, that type of thing is not really apt for artistic critique, yet you are asking for comments.

Honestly I think you posted because you have an inner passion that you are insecure about. What if when I try I suck?  What if no one likes it?  I think you're limiting yourself when you have a lot of potential.
So again I ask, what are your intentions?  Maybe they are dreams of creating a spectacular work? 

Maybe I have this all wrong, but if I'm right, I think you need to read it

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile
but I do feel like a number of people here look at themselves on this holier than thou level and they kind of poo poo on other people's stuff at a level beyond just critiquing. Or maybe I'm just hardwired to see the worst in any situation? I don't know!

Damn, are we really that bad? :-[ I would't mind seeing some examples of posts you find might would be offensive/ damaging ( you can do so in pm if you'd like) I've always considered pixelation serious yes, even hardcore sometimes, but always with the best intentions.

You mention the "pixel art" of this board as separate from the "pixel art" as a whole. I totally get where you're coming from, but a lot of stuff that happens in more "modern" pixel aesthetics, such as high color counts, low contrast, banding etc have been discussed at length, and I think it's safe to say that in most cases, "correcting" these things does improve pixel art in a somewhat objective manner ( where the original artist can see it's better, and a larger group of people agree it looks better.)

Perhaps we just want to bring everybody to the dark side of the pixel.  ::)

As for your piece, do you really want a doodle critiqued? It's cool for what it is, palette is fine, concept is cool, dark side pixel stuff could be improved upon. Have you seen the Daily sketch thread in the challenge and activities forum? It might be a better place for something like this.

If you're into game art, This would be really cool to see as a mockup scene. It would be a more serious effort, but serious and fun aren't opposites!

Friend has some good words for the situation ( what a great username for this sort of thing, too) no one here is attacking you, and even if they were, just use that as fuel! Back when I first came here I was actually put under fire for people who thought I was just color reducing images and passing it off as pixel art. But I knew what I was doing and that the community had great stuff to offer so I took on more of a " I'll show you, guy!" attitude that eventually settled down into an honest respect for improving my craft.

Offline Willabee

• Hello, Sweetie!
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
-
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:09:31 pm by Willabee »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile
Ah ok I see, yeah it does suck how expensive art can be. There is always pencil and paper, but I know that's not as sexy as paint or digital. Do you have a scanner or a decent camera? We have the ot creativity thread and the anatomy thread here that might be more useful to you. That way you wouldn't have to be pigeonholed into doing pixel art when you'd rather be doing art art! I'm a fine artist myself, and many members here are pretty skilled in the more illustrative departments, so you're not alone in your love of stuff other than pixels.

Also, it might take some digging, but if pixel technique is not your end goal, and you don't have a tablet to easily digitize your own drawings, we have a line art thread somewhere where you could color other people's already pixeled lines and the focus could be more about color, which is more generally useful.

For what could be improved on the piece, it depends on what you're going for. Right now it's symmetry and lack of perspective makes it look like a design motif. Is that what you're going for? If not, you might have to scale things up a bit so that you could create in a more representational manner. There is some banding going on in the machinery thing, and there's some things that could be done to possibly make the golems read better, but it would all be a matter of a few shifted pixels; not really a road one needs to go down if you don't care too much for pixel art.

edit: also a little blurb that may or may not be helpful on attitudes toward critique. Artist's MUST be thick skinned to improve and be successful. But it's just that, the skin. On the inside most of us are all soft and gooey and sensitive, artists almost have to be, because our passion relies on our ability to sense and perceive the world around us. Even non personal critique can and will hurt because our work is an extension of ourselves. So while your freaking out, going nuts, etc might be a bit extreme given your disorder(s) the feelings behind it are something that all artists get, and it's totally ok. Get that out there, and then later, come back when you're in a place where you can see the points objectively and learn from them ( Easier said than done, of course).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:50:46 pm by Ryumaru »

Offline Willabee

• Hello, Sweetie!
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
-
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 05:09:54 pm by Willabee »