AuthorTopic: [WIP]Marine  (Read 6398 times)

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

[WIP]Marine

on: January 15, 2009, 03:58:09 pm
Here's something a little more serious, which will be harder than the past stuff, little smallish sprite thingies.  It's an old Marine, or some sea-faring general person.  Whatever the case, he looks worn, or at least old.  No ear because I'm going to add a hat, which I'm avoiding.  Bandanna?  Coolish pirate hat?  Not sure, but enough talk, here it is:
First WIP: (  :-[ )

Clean lines:

first color:

Second:

Third:

Fourth:

Current:

Crit me hard, this is my first actual piece.  I usually just do spritework.  Are there glaring anatomical issues?  colors issues?  Anything!  Btw, I didn't use a ref, just my own personal facial experience.

Toodles!
Shrike
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 08:39:25 pm by Shrike »

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Marine

Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 04:39:17 pm
left cheek i think protrudes too much taper it with a slightly more shallow slope from just under his left eye to chin. Also, he needs ears ;)

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 04:53:50 pm
Thanks, I always screw up that area.   :mean:
Oh, I'm adding a hat (Probably a bandanna.   :D ) so the ears will come, depending on which hat I pick.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 07:37:30 pm
Hey Shrike, nice work. I like the face, it can be hard to get that old person look, but I think you nailed it. I don't quite like the head though, it feels too small. Also, I do not like the dark lines you have on the edge of his face, it doesn't work with the lineless features of his face. I made an edit, and tried to address what I didn't like.

Mainly what I did was:
Made his forehead taller, and less sloped back.
Filled out the back of his head a little.
Added the darkest shade above his left eye, there is usually a lot of shadow up in there.
Played with his right iris a little bit, it was shaped weird
Removed most of the dark lines you have on the edge of the face
Added a shadow on the neck, from the chin.
The heavy shadow on your nose seemed to be on the wrong side. I put it on the correct side.

Keep up the good work, hope this helps a little.

Offline toshiomagic

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 10:18:59 pm
the chin is a bit too wide. try making a sharper angle on the jaw and narrow it more as it approaches the chin area. i would narrow more from the left and a slight bit(literally like a pixel or two) on the right. our right/left. not his right/left lol. 

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 04:03:03 pm
NaCl, thanks a million for the extensive edit.  I'll get to work on it later today.   :crazy:  Your edit is killer.

Made his forehead taller, and less sloped back. -- Good one.  The head was way too big in the first WIP, so I got overzealous and crop-happy.  I'll fix.
Filled out the back of his head a little. -- I suck at drawing the skull's shape.  It's hard, well done and thanks.
Added the darkest shade above his left eye, there is usually a lot of shadow up in there. -- Yeah, this is true.  I kind of forgot about it.
Played with his right iris a little bit, it was shaped weird -- The eyes were kind of an afterthought, and I sort of ignored them.  Thanks!
Removed most of the dark lines you have on the edge of the face -- They used to be black, and my plan wasn't to remove them but it looks a lot better. 
Added a shadow on the neck, from the chin. -- Ahaha, I'm avoiding the neck because it'll be a pain.  It will come soon though.
The heavy shadow on your nose seemed to be on the wrong side. I put it on the correct side. -- Thanks, I had a lot of trouble with that.

toshiomagic, I made the chin like that so it would give it more character, but I'll experiment with that.  This is a study of trying to get someone to look like a person with personality, something I generally suck at doing.  I'll play around with it though.

Updates soon, thanks all for the crits!

Toodles!
Shrike

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 08:38:47 pm
Yokay, time for updates!  :crazy:  Sorry for long absence, I'm sure you were all waiting at the edge of your seat.  I've been busy.

Anyway, added one color, and I've tried to take everything in with it, maybe not so, but it's better: 

Next update will have a bandana! Before I murder it, any suggestions on how to do this, shading cloth, or maybe an easier hat to do? 

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 09:13:08 pm
The colors ramps are a bit straighter than I'd make them. I don't think the gradient on the cranium works well. Both the face and clothing, as separate elements, could use some more contrast. I think more hard angles and hard shading would benefit this.

Research lips and noses a bit more because when I look at this I don't really see a human, I see an alien. (wasn't sure of your intention at first) Fixing the skintones to include more unmuddied yellows, oranges, and reds could help.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 06:04:48 pm
Sooooorry for super late nonactivity!   D:  Before I read Atnas' post, here's what I came up with:

More contrast?  good thing?  I think I like it better. 
Atnas, the caranium indeed needs some work.   :(  I'm working on a hat for him now, and although a bandanna is quite boring I'm not sure how I would do a pirate hat.  As for the colors, I don't know, does the contrast fix it? I'll work on the ramps as soon as I can.
WIP Background to come, + hat and color adjust.  Maybe.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 09:07:28 pm
Not much wrong with the contrast in my opinion other than the lightest shade could just be white for a better highlight. I like the newest palette

Only thing I'd say is you need to render smaller details, shape and form, you've got it in the perfect state now to do so. I've had a go at a small edit to show you what I mean.

I've not gone into depth but individual things like the nose, lips and eyes need attention. By using references to understand how they're constructed basically, at the minute they look rushed.

Also a quick look into wrinkles would add a lot to this  ;D
I've not got anything interesting to type here..