AuthorTopic: First Pixel Art (a.k.a. My Feet Look Like Runescape...)  (Read 3618 times)

Offline OllieTheMagicBum

• View Profile

First Pixel Art (a.k.a. My Feet Look Like Runescape...)

on: December 31, 2015, 04:12:17 am
Hey everyone,
So I decided to start getting in to making some basic games because of a game idea I had. After spending a couple of days looking at pixel art and watching/reading some tutorials on making pixel art I started making what I hope to one day be my protagonist. I'm not the most artistic person in the world, but I feel like, for this to be my first pixel art character, I'm on the right track (granted it took me 5 hours to make him...). My problem is his lower half. I feel like his leg placement is close to what I want but not quite, and his boots just look like I took them off of a Runescape character, and their orientation is wrong. So any help I could get with how to make his feet look better or how to understand placement of limbs in general would be a great help, because one day I want to animate him swinging his bass. I will admit that this isn't 100% original, as I did borrow some ideas, but I didn't trace anything or follow any actual character design. Just needed some inspiration. The only thing I really 'ripped off' was his stance. Hope that doesn't put me in a bad light in this forum.

Thanks for the help!

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Re: First Pixel Art (a.k.a. My Feet Look Like Runescape...)

Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 04:52:04 am
Pretty cool sprite. The guitar's headstock should have 6 pegs though one for each string,unless you were going for a bass. and you can honestly lengthen the headstock a bit.
I think your colors are a bit bland for skin choice.

Try to make it look more clammy, and more matte. Also maybe darken the tones of his blue mohawk and pants, they are pretty vibrant colors. I assume he is wearing jeans so they should be less reflective and colorful. As for his feet I dont really see a problem with having boots like that. They don't really remind me of runescape unless you mention it. So I doubt people would look at his feet and go "HEY YOU COPIED ROONSCAPE DOODE!"  :lol:
Edit: Also never enlarge your sprites, the website has a built in enlarging tool. Just post them to the default size. Also it seems your light source isn't consistent and you are doing a form of cell shading.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 04:54:30 am by Roach »

Offline OllieTheMagicBum

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 05:09:37 am
Roach I took your advice and this is what I ended up with. I tried to make him more matte and I'm not sure how I personally feel about it, but I'll agree with you that his pants and his hair definitely lok better being less vibrant   ;D Thanks for that!

Edit: as far as light source goes, I'm just going with what I feel like is right. I can kinda see the light source being inconsistent now that I look at it compared to your sprite. I guess that's something I should work on.
Edit 2: I just realized I forgot to turn on my bass guitar layer.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:19:48 am by OllieTheMagicBum »

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 05:23:29 am
Let me make an edit real quick for ya give me a bit.
Edit: Always save your images as a png. Jpegs will ruin your pixel art.

This is what I meant by changing the color of the jeans, and also how I thought your light source was sporadic. Also when you make skin try not to use too many colors, You want it to kind of be soft looking, thats what I meant by turning it into a matte tone.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:51:33 am by Roach »

Offline OllieTheMagicBum

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 05:39:19 am
Edit: Always save your images as a png. Jpegs will ruin your pixel art.

Noted. Here's a PNG if you would like it

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 05:57:54 am
which pose did you rip from?  could you post your reference pose?  As your own character, you should consider attempting your own pose.

As for the pixeling, you fell into the most common beginner traps:

1: not enough differentiation between separate colors.  You have many colors that the eye cant distinguish without straining.  Generally in pixel art we try to keep every color in our oh so limited palette as important as possible.  The more important you can make each individual color, the stronger your palette most likely is

2: too many colors.  This is a result of problem one.  Because so many colors you have used are unimportant to the whole, you have to add a bunch more colors.  This is bad in pixel art, because pixel art thrives as an artform that is fundamentally based on control...Control of every little pixel, and control of every single color.  Less colors in a palette means you can control them better and use them effectively.

3: general pixel technique issues, which just means because you are new to pixeling, do not yet have a grasp on how to place pixels efffectively.  I suggest if youre serious about pixeling read as much as you can of this amazing wayofthepixel thread: http://wayofthepixel.net/?topic=8110.0  If youre not as serious, know terms such as AA, banding, dithering, and most importantly, pixel clusters.  you'll notice the best pixel art focuses on creating beautiful clusters or groups of pixels that interlock in harmonious ways.  Yes, it is about moving single pixels, but realize it is about moving single pixels into harmonious clusters of pixels.

Here's a sprite edit I did yesterday that you can think about these 3 points over.  My edit is on the right.  You'll notice the original sprite had many colors, and many of those colors are hard to even tell theyre different, such as the huge number of very similar whites.  AVOID!  In my version, you'll see the palette is much smaller, and for the most part, every color is distinguishable, save for where it was appropriate to have similar colors.  This means by nature I was forced to think about my color choices so that i could do more with less colors.

Also pay attention to how the original sprite has sections where pixels seem to lack control, such as the wrist holding the knife.  There are a bunch of seemingly random colors and even a lime green that is hard to tell what's going on.  Here, there is no sense of piels belonging in a cluster, but rather look like what Jalonso calls a "pixel pudding."  I tried to fix this in my edit.  Notice how every group of color is better separated into clusters that are well molded by good ol manual labor pixel pushing.  The end result is a better sense of control over the original sprite, so at least in terms of the pixel technique could be considered an improvement.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 06:02:58 am by Friend »

Offline OllieTheMagicBum

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 05:59:57 am
I just realized you posted your edit in that post-edit. My bad.

I see what you did with the lighting. It definitely gives it much better definition, especially to his face, and looking at them side-by-side I think I need to focus more on the colors I pick. Do you go off of a pallet or was that simply based off of what you thought would work best?

Looks like I've got a lot to work on. Thanks for your feedback man! It's really appreciated.

Offline OllieTheMagicBum

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 06:12:16 am
Friend, thanks for your elaborate response. I pulled the pose from a video that I saw on youtube. I didn't save the link but I'll dig around for it.

In response to each part
1. I agree, and this is something I thought about while making this sprite, but I never felt comfortable with other colors so I chose the ones that I did which was mostly chosen as 'this looks right, so I'm going to go with it.'

2.One thing I did try to do is be consistant with how things are shaded. I didn't want to choose more than 3 shades per color. Like the mohawk, 3 shades of blue, shirt 3 shades of black (I guess technically grey), etc. to avoid having too many colors. I think once I get my color choices better, then I can make a better judgement of how to shade it so it will be more appealing.

3.Thanks for the link! I'll have to give that a read tomorrow. I am familiar with pixel clusters and dithering (just from the articles I've read), but that's something I look at as just needing practice.

As for your edit, I think your version is more appealing at the size that it's at, but close up the first edit seems to have more definition. I'm not knocking your edit, I'm actually saying it looks better, because it works better in a practical sense.

I'll keep these points in mind when I start working on my next sprite. Thanks again!

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 06:24:09 am
I just basically guessed as what would look best. It's usually a good idea to pick your pallette careful before hand, and then make adjustments as necessary.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 05:12:22 pm
Here's Cure's advice on creating a palette.  It's from his awesome pixel art tutorial 

http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299&PID=139392#139392