AuthorTopic: [Closed] Male Sprite Base - Outline troubles  (Read 8255 times)

Offline Absconditus

• Newbie Pixel
    • View Profile

[Closed] Male Sprite Base - Outline troubles

on: May 23, 2011, 04:27:24 pm
As it was brought to my attention that my base sprite idle frame looked excessively like another artists, to the point of plagiarism, I'll rather re-design my styling and scrap the current one. I'll leave the sprite below instead of just "deleting any trace", as I did not intentionally or knowingly copy that other artists design, not having seen their work before. In other words, I don't feel like I got something I need to hide, but completely understand some people will just "call bullshit" on that. I would be highly sceptical as well.
__

__

I also apologize to anyone who gets insulted, but I won't admit to doing something I have not done - and at least I know myself that I didn't plagiarise this Kiwinuptuo. If you who are reading this don't believe that, so be it. I understand and can live with that. I didn't come around here saying "I made the coolest thing ever, check it out!" seeking praise for something as simple as a base--I came here asking about critique on overall design, colors/shading and tips on how to do outlines when there's limited options for AA, to learn more about pixel art, where I could improve. I did instead get pointed to art that were older, wich looked very similar to what I had made and I appreciate that and will rather work on making a new style, not wanting to be called a thief. This Kiwinuptuo seems like a pretty well known pixel artist in your circles from reading some of those dA comments, so if I wanted to rip off someone, why would I rip off of that person?

I also see a few posts below now mentioning that the shade colors used on the eyes are exactly the same, wich doesn't surprise me one bit, it's a very standard shading palette that you can find if you look up some pictures of make-up kits, wich is also where the skin color tones are from. Now, if you're going to mention the shape of them too, then Kiwinuptuo must have created old classic games all the way back to the NES inventing that eye-style on 8-bit graphics, not to mention anime in general. And that I would find insulting.

I got to say that the responses are a good indication of a great community you guys got going here though, protecting other artists. I applaud that. But don't expect me to admit and "come clean" on having done something I haven't. I completely understand where you are coming from, how you are sceptical or blatantly do not believe that I accidentally created a very similar looking pose to someone seemingly well known in these pixel circles. I can totally see myself in your shoes there.

If I am to "defend myself"; Bases are generally very similar looking, it's what goes on top that seperates them in the end. I haven't seen many sprites with semi-detailed shading though, as most are covered in clothing not needing it. I wrote that Megaman was a big inspiration in the pose, and found two images that shared that pose [1][2] - I did however draw out dots based on memory from one of the older Megaman games, yes - each pixel is dotted one by one - and while it might not be impressing, it still took me some time to do. Try imagining Megamans suit on top of that base. The head-shape, posture and "power stance" (raised shoulders) are very typical in my re-collection. Color palettes are very common, it's not strange to find tons of artwork with the same color palettes, even if the artists have never seen eachother works. Yes, they are very similar. And it's insulting people, thus I will re-design and try find a different approach of doing my characters. The problem is finding one that feels like an oldskool RPG and that becomes slightly more unique, at least when it comes to the basics of things as a base.
__

Edit: (1) [Closed] topic as I no longer need C+C, but leaving images. Edited out the mass of text that went with them asking for feedback and help in solving issues I were having mainly with outlines but also color palette (being slightly color "blind"). (2) Added to the text/my "defense".
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:01:27 pm by Absconditus »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: [WIP]["Nudity"] Male Sprite Base - Outline troubles - C+C

Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 01:23:40 am
I have been pointed towards this, by another member.
Tho yours does not seem to be a 1:1 copy (it could still be a cleaned upscale) you should always state where you got your reference or whatnot from.

Could you have done the base sprite all by yourself? If not you should work more on your fundamentals than on fiddling with pixels really.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Absconditus

• Newbie Pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 09:03:43 am
Thanks for the response and the similarities are indeed uncanny in how close they look like one another, or rather how it looks like I have copied this artist - but while I completely understand it being hard to believe, this is the first time I've seen that collection of characters. Even when doing a quick google search on the term megaman (wich I did write were a memory influence, besides Nintendo, in their way of using cartoony simplistic limbs), I can find images that shares similar and strong resemblances, like this one and this one, although not pixeled.

At any rate, I don't want to be seen as a thief, so I'll scrap what I had there and rather draw out some new character designs. I appreciate the heads up and apologize to anyone I might have insulted in having created a very similar looking base sprite as another person.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:41:13 am by Absconditus »

Offline DtFM

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 11:01:17 am
Thanks for the response and the similarities are indeed uncanny in how close they look like one another, or rather how it looks like I have copied this artist - but while I completely understand it being hard to believe, this is the first time I've seen that collection of characters.

Bullshit. The eye color in your sprite is identical to Kiwinuptuo's.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Re: [Closed] Male Sprite Base - Outline troubles

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 02:57:13 pm
Wow... not just one color, but FIVE colors are exactly the same as Kiwinuptuo's. This is embarrassing. Ptoing was kind enough to give you a chance to admit your mistake and move past it, but you're still claiming ownership of the sprites you posted. If you want to be a part of this community (which you should, if you care about making pixel art) I strongly recommend coming clean or at least thinking up a better defense than "what a crazy coincidence."

Offline DtFM

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 09:06:16 pm
I also apologize to anyone who gets insulted, but I won't admit to doing something I have not done - and at least I know myself that I didn't plagiarise this Kiwinuptuo. If you who are reading this don't believe that, so be it. I understand and can live with that. I didn't come around here saying "I made the coolest thing ever, check it out!" seeking praise for something as simple as a base--I came here asking about critique on overall design, colors/shading and tips on how to do outlines when there's limited options for AA, to learn more about pixel art, where I could improve. I did instead get pointed to art that were older, wich looked very similar to what I had made and I appreciate that and will rather work on making a new style, not wanting to be called a thief. This Kiwinuptuo seems like a pretty well known pixel artist in your circles from reading some of those dA comments, so if I wanted to rip off someone, why would I rip off of that person?

I also see a few posts below now mentioning that the shade colors used on the eyes are exactly the same, wich doesn't surprise me one bit, it's a very standard shading palette that you can find if you look up some pictures of make-up kits, wich is also where the skin color tones are from. Now, if you're going to mention the shape of them too, then Kiwinuptuo must have created old classic games all the way back to the NES inventing that eye-style on 8-bit graphics, not to mention anime in general. And that I would find insulting.

I got to say that the responses are a good indication of a great community you guys got going here though, protecting other artists. I applaud that. But don't expect me to admit and "come clean" on having done something I haven't. I completely understand where you are coming from, how you are sceptical or blatantly do not believe that I accidentally created a very similar looking pose to someone seemingly well known in these pixel circles. I can totally see myself in your shoes there.

If I am to "defend myself"; Bases are generally very similar looking, it's what goes on top that seperates them in the end. I haven't seen many sprites with semi-detailed shading though, as most are covered in clothing not needing it. I wrote that Megaman was a big inspiration in the pose, and found two images that shared that pose [1][2] - I did however draw out dots based on memory from one of the older Megaman games, yes - each pixel is dotted one by one - and while it might not be impressing, it still took me some time to do. Try imagining Megamans suit on top of that base. The head-shape, posture and "power stance" (raised shoulders) are very typical in my re-collection. Color palettes are very common, it's not strange to find tons of artwork with the same color palettes, even if the artists have never seen eachother works. Yes, they are very similar. And it's insulting people, thus I will re-design and try find a different approach of doing my characters. The problem is finding one that feels like an oldskool RPG and that becomes slightly more unique, at least when it comes to the basics of things as a base.

Holy shit, you are still denying this? How stupid do you think we are? There is no way you could independently come up with something so incredibly close to another person's work. The proportions are exactly the same, the angle is exactly the same, the odd posture is exactly the same, the color ramp you used for the eyes is exactly the same. It is baffling that you would try so hard to defend this when you have so little invested in this forum (three posts and you registered a day ago? Just abandon ship). The creator of the original even said people are free to use his template. You could have just given him credit in your post and asked for critique on your shading or AA or whatever you wanted to learn from doing this.

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 10:08:52 pm

Just so everyone passing by can see.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 05:44:30 am
@Phlakes: Dig your avatar. Reminds me a lot of the "grass mud horse" at http://chinadigitaltimes.net/ (scroll down and there on the left it is).

I'm not into public flogging. We don't know who ripped what from where. But just in general I'll say that plagiarism seems like a massive waste of time and I'll recommend anyone around here doing so to do their own thing instead. That's the point of this forum, isn't it? Learning and developing and having fun? If you copy, you learn nothing. All you get is cred for work you didn't do from people you never met. How useful is that?

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 05:55:12 am
@Phlakes: Dig your avatar. Reminds me a lot of the "grass mud horse" at http://chinadigitaltimes.net/ (scroll down and there on the left it is).

Yep, it's this. I decided to make the entire TF2 team out of boredom. Never got past four. Actually, they're the most recent images on that page. Except for the spy, that's in the second set.

Anyway, it wouldn't be so bad if he would just admit that he plagiarized. He's not fooling anyone except himself.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 02:31:36 pm
i would have given you the benefit of the doubt on the figure likeness - but the chances of picking just 1 color that has the exact same rgb value let alone 5 or more in another artists work, unless they are extremely 'common' values (0,0,0, 255,0,255, etc) is rather astronomical to be coincidence.

Always give proper credit where its due, whether from a reference used or an edit of someone elses work. Any lapse in full disclosure in this area has a nasty effect of ruining ones credibility, even if their intentions were not bad or wrong.

Id be interested to see you do a new one from scratch, using what youve hopefully learned from this exercise, so that we could help you from there.