AuthorTopic: Shmup Shots  (Read 12228 times)

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Re: Shmup Shots

Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 08:56:05 pm
I agree with the previous crits, in that right now the player sprite could quite easily get lost among the background (especially in the second shot). Very pretty so far, though, nice forms and detail on the tiles. I'm liking the water splashes in the first shot, though they may be a bit too contrasty compared to the rest of the shot, and more importantly, to the waterfall itself. For the rocks, maybe they could have a gradual fadeout of detail the further from the rock-edge they get? Seems a tad busy with the detail level relatively uniform throughout. Keep the focus on the important bits, ie. what the player can collide with. Imho. :)

Take a look at the score font, its almost identical. The rocks look very similar as well.
I've posted shots of the game. The ship is far from a copy. Derivative of any number of side-scrolling shmups, maybe, but yeah. The rocks look vaguely similar, sure. They're rocks. And the font? It's a font.
I have nothing against eyecraft, just to clarify. I'm not out to hurt his reputation or anything.
They way you've worded your posts suggests otherwise, or at the very least a seeming lack of tact. Calling someone out in the manner you've done, without anything more concrete than "I'm sure they look the same" simply seems to me to be bad form. :\ A PM would've been more appropriate, methinks.

I'm serious though, that player ship sprite looks copied...and the way the game looks, and the rocks.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 08:58:26 pm by LoTekK »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 09:11:54 pm

I've posted shots of the game. The ship is far from a copy. Derivative of any number of side-scrolling shmups, maybe, but yeah.

you posted a shot of the earlier version, you must go beyond a simple google search.

The font is practically identical, aswell as some similarities with the player ship. 

Is your game available for download eyecraft?

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 09:19:18 pm
you posted a shot of the earlier version, you must go beyond a simple google search.
Not to sound snarky or anything, but I would think the onus of posting accurate shots would lie with the person doing the accusing... side-by-side with the accusation. :huh:

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 09:21:25 pm
Just to note: I remember seeing some of these (or very similar shmup bg's, anyway) posted here by EyeCraft as wips.  I'm pretty sure these are his.

As separate pieces, all of this works really well.  However, the sprites are a bit too desaturated and dark, which causes them to get lost when it all gets put together.  Bring up the brightness and make them stand out, I'd say.  It might be different if they're moving, but in a shmup you want to be able to read enemies, player sprite, bullets, etc. at a glance.  Good stuff, though!
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline selur

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 09:55:16 pm
I want to present you my another boring opinion  :huh:

there are two posibilities:

1)  EyeCraft is one of the developers of this game called Titan Exodus 2 :o

2)  ... or he is a little gfx ripper   :P

however graphics (or it's redraws) looks good

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 10:00:13 pm
I believe eyecraft made those screenshots. I'm just saying that the similarities to this game I've played are too close for comfort.

Offline selur

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 10:28:11 pm
Hishnak
I agree with you, but we talking about TitanExodus 2 , so we should wait and listen what Eyecraft will say about where from are these screenshots.

Offline kingkumquat

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 12:02:44 am
I would just like to point out that the only sites that mention Titan Exodus 2 (Exhibit A and Exhibit B) use the same e-mail address address as Eyecraft does. The author in the second link also uses the same avatar as Eyecraft.

I would have to agree that there is some much needed contrast as the screen is pretty busy in the second screenshot, and the ship gets lost in the background (at least to my eyes). I know you said you might redo the cave backdrop, but the area where the waterfall hits the rocks looks strange. More specifically the straight edges of the falling water below the foamy splashes. But otherwise, your rocks are very spiffy.

On a side note, I'm wondering about the enemy behind the waterfall and how that would work in a SHMUP.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 01:04:01 am
If I may interject my two cents,
These screens have clearly been inspired by R-Type. But Titan Alpha Omega what's-it's hero ship looks like it's actually directly traced or modified from R-Type III.

The similarities between these screens and Titan are the result of them both drawing inspiration from the same source. And I would argue that these which Eyecraft posted are not only more original than Titan's, but more successful.

Having said that I have the same criticisms as others - the ships and even the "P1" overlay look fine in a still image but those muddy colors seem like they would be lost in a fast-moving game.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 04:33:46 am
Oh wow, lots of replies.

Yes, the game is Titan Exodus 2. It's my own personal "Duke Nukem Forever", and it has had countless iterations, of engines, of graphics. 2 demos of it have been released in its time, as well as a beta. But they're all old and horrible now, haha.

Titan Exodus, Titan Omega Revelations (and TOR 1.5), Titan Genesis (abandonware, unfortunately) are all creations of James Whitehead of satansam.co.uk, a good friend of mine. And in times past, he did like to trace a bit, oh well got him where he is today, I suppose...

The waterfalls are probably the oldest things in the screenshot besides the backdrop, so I'll have a go at tidying them up and making them look a little more dynamic.

I'll have a go at tweaking the contrast of the sprites and the backgrounds to improve the readability. In motion I don't think it's as bad, but in static screenshots they definitely melt in.

As for fading the rocks out as it gets away from their surface, thats actually how the rocks used to look (very similar to the purple rocks in the screenshot of TOR). But they looked really flat and crude, so I redid them to their current form. EDIT: actually I think I have some ideas which might help this.

Thanks for the feedback   ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 04:36:45 am by EyeCraft »