AuthorTopic: [C+C] [WIP] Game character  (Read 5357 times)

Offline Lodrick

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] [WIP] Game character

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 09:33:46 pm
That's still a cast shadow rather than a form shadow, but it does help.
Take a look at the first of the examples you posted. That's also mostly cast shadows, but look at how much more contrast there is compared to yours. It's super-clear what's in shadow and what's in light. That helps a lot.

The new scarf colour has the same value as the shirt, so it blends in. Make sure important things have different values (darkness/lightness), to avoid this blending together. Always preview your work at 1x (or 2x if that's as small as it'll be in game). What's clear zoomed in might not be visible at all zoomed out.

I was confused about what type of shadow you were talking about. I did some research and found this http://www.kingslan.com/newsletters/shadows.pdf. Now i understand.

Although i dont know how to do form shadow, my plan is to merge the two styles in the spritesheet and move the shadow when the player do a movement (like walk or attack) that require depth, but i don't know how it will work yet, i haven't tested. What shadow type you think is better in my case?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:36:55 pm by Lodrick »

Offline Lodrick

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] [WIP] Game character

Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 11:53:39 am
I'm here again. Last week I didn't have time to work in this, but I'm back now. This time i left the character flat again and decided to do the animation first, and then put the details, change colors, and see how it gets better.

Got this idle anim for when the player is outside and get affected by wind.

Is this good or too symmetrical? In this low res characters, how is the better way to do the idle? What body parts to move?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:28:15 pm by Lodrick »