AuthorTopic: The Soul Guide Wisp (Critiques needed)  (Read 2986 times)

Offline SGEzlo

• View Profile

The Soul Guide Wisp (Critiques needed)

on: March 30, 2017, 09:47:05 pm

Appreciate all reviews so I can improve my skills.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: The Soul Guide Wisp (Critiques needed)

Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 10:33:10 pm
I like the cutesy design, very friendly! It doesn't quite scream guide though. Perhaps something like a lantern, to better represent that aspect?

They also seem to be leaning backwards a bit, I'd reccomend going back over this with an eye for curves and contours later.
When I have time I'll try to do a quick redraw to showcase what i mean!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline SGEzlo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 01:49:44 pm
I like the cutesy design, very friendly! It doesn't quite scream guide though. Perhaps something like a lantern, to better represent that aspect?

They also seem to be leaning backwards a bit, I'd reccomend going back over this with an eye for curves and contours later.
When I have time I'll try to do a quick redraw to showcase what i mean!

Here, I revised it a bit. Added a lantern too. I contemplated whether or not to give him a scythe instead but I decided that the lantern is more appropriate. Anyway, tell me if there are any areas needed to be improved.
(Hope you can see the image, I can't seem to see it for some reason, just open the image in a new tab and it should be fine; if you can't see, that is)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 02:51:56 pm
Link to the image, not the page it's on, and it'll show up:

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 04:55:36 am

Close! Here, I did an illustrative redraw of your character. It's not the best work, but the biggest thing I want to highlight here is Silhouette.

Silhouette is the idea that any character you design should be instantly recognizable, even if the character is completely in shadow. Good silhouette is the biggest thing I use when designing any character, and you can see it in just about any good design. It also applies for posing and composition, it's a pretty handy multi-tool!

So, in order to improve the silhouette of your character, I tried to keep the  arm outstretched with the lantern rather than drawn in on the body as well as put emphasis on the basic shapes of the character much as possible!
You can see how that looks here:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 04:57:08 am by MysteryMeat »

Offline SGEzlo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 12:56:39 pm

Close! Here, I did an illustrative redraw of your character. It's not the best work, but the biggest thing I want to highlight here is Silhouette.

Silhouette is the idea that any character you design should be instantly recognizable, even if the character is completely in shadow. Good silhouette is the biggest thing I use when designing any character, and you can see it in just about any good design. It also applies for posing and composition, it's a pretty handy multi-tool!

So, in order to improve the silhouette of your character, I tried to keep the  arm outstretched with the lantern rather than drawn in on the body as well as put emphasis on the basic shapes of the character much as possible!
You can see how that looks here:

Here, a remake of what I did. It's a lot better than what I did before. I took only like a few elements from the one you made but it's still different nonetheless. Like the colors are from the original

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 10:15:24 pm
Big improvement, good work!
You can reduce colorcount here since some of the extra shades don't add much, my color changes were originally my attempt at that before my incessant urge to poke and prod kicked in.