AuthorTopic: [C&C] Piggy Bank  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Pixel_Snail

• View Profile

[C&C] Piggy Bank

on: February 27, 2017, 10:48:29 pm
Here's something I've been working on the last day or two - it's basically a piggy bank I had lying around but I coloured it to be semi-realistic.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [C&C] Piggy Bank

Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 11:10:32 pm
It's still pretty cartoony! Try to take the material into account to really sell it, plastic and ceramic both tend to be pretty glossy! Play around with some references like this:

Play around with the reflections!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Pixel_Snail

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 02:10:35 pm
It's still pretty cartoony! Try to take the material into account to really sell it, plastic and ceramic both tend to be pretty glossy! Play around with some references like this:

Play around with the reflections!

I'm a little stuck on how to create the plastic/ceramic look. I tried adding some more highlights, but it's not making too much of a difference  :(

Would I need to add more colors to my palette to achieve this? (although I always thought that was a no no in pixel art)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 06:27:40 pm
Try to make sure every color in your palette counts readability wise.

Also, the reference provided is more interesting to look at than the profile pose you've chosen.

I also notice quite a difference in color in the reference and the colors you've chosen.

Keep at it!

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 04:40:58 pm
my edit:
It seems you have a hard time making highlights, here i made an example of how you could make them look. You should also look at sprites you like and how they apply highlights. I also added a little depth by giving him a 2nd eye, 2 more feet and making his nose more from the front. A side view like you made it usually very plain and doesn't show any depth.
You get in the bowl

Offline Pixel_Snail

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 01:43:59 pm
my edit:
It seems you have a hard time making highlights, here i made an example of how you could make them look. You should also look at sprites you like and how they apply highlights. I also added a little depth by giving him a 2nd eye, 2 more feet and making his nose more from the front. A side view like you made it usually very plain and doesn't show any depth.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I do indeed have some trouble with highlights/shading.  :-[ I think not having too much of an artistic background works against me and I've even been practicing with just a pencil and note pad recently to try and see if that can help. Would that approach be useful ?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:45:43 pm by Pixel_Snail »

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 02:06:26 pm
With pencil you can learn a lot faster. You can make 10 drawings in the time of 1 pixel sprite. Stuff like Foreshortening and Perspective are elementary.
You get in the bowl