AuthorTopic: [WIP] Jungle tileset  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Mr. Cat

• View Profile

[WIP] Jungle tileset

on: February 27, 2017, 03:45:30 pm
Hello there! I'm working on a Sonic fangame, and I'd like to request some critique for this WIP jungle tileset I'm making for the fangame.
It's made from scratch, using only 10 colors (for now at least) and following all the limitations of Sega Genesis hardware.

Thanks in advance.

Offline CFKaligula

• View Profile
    • My Tumblr

Re: [WIP] Jungle tileset

Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 03:51:32 pm
Keep in mind that the reason Sega Genesis games had the weird dither pattern was because the TV would make this into different colours, unless you plan to add a shader for that its just in the way and makes the sprite look bad, especially the tree bark(?).
You get in the bowl

Offline Mr. Cat

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 04:09:31 pm
Thanks for your reply!

Actually, the odd pattern on the logs was an intentional design choice. How can I improve it?

And yes, this fangame is actually a romhack and it will run on an actual Genesis (SEGA allowed Sonic 1 romhacking, so that's legal)

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 12:22:26 am
One thing I would suggest to improve it is remove the "butterfly" effect you currently have going on. You have the left and right side of the tree trunks flipped, using the same texture/artwork. Maybe it's just me but it looks a little visually unappealing to me since the tree textures are repeating some much. I would recommend creating two or three full tree trunks (no flipped artwork).

Another thing that might help is actually to have a space between the tree trunks and create a simple impression of a background. Also, what are the thinks between the leaves and the tree trunks? Small stylized branches?