AuthorTopic: [C+C] Treasure chest  (Read 4479 times)

Offline Jehannum

• MMA-inspired Artist
    • jehannumma
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] Treasure chest

Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 02:20:28 am

GREEN : I'm unsure why you didn't keep that side straight but it looks wrong to my eye

RED : Combined with the issue in green, the bottom panel appears to bulge and becomes thinner as the perspective changes (that panel has a number of issues to be honest) but the middle  panel is arcing upwards and doesn't become thinner as the perspective changes, plus at the far end it appears to have popped out which wouldn't be possible while it's still embedded into the metal frame.

The reason I circled those black areas is because they appear to be part of the problem too.

Just noticed the metal bracket for the lock is in the wrong position too (to my eye)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 02:22:42 am by Jehannum »
-----Working on my sig-----

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 06:00:06 am
Damn this is becoming awesome. Are you going to try some other gold types?

I'd suggest keeping the waves toned down in regards to contrast. They are in the background and you don't want them to be the focal point.

The shaded side looks good, but I'd reduce the contrast further on the plank edges detailed along it - those lines keep grabbing my eye, but the main purpose of simplifying that part is so that it doesn't grab your eye - but so your eye can relax because of less details.

Offline Aniki

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 10:55:06 am
Yeah, the perspective is definitely off. At first I was trying to make it kind of cartoony and like it was bursting open. There are probably a lot of artifacts left in this piece considering how many times I switched course. Thanks for pointing it out, I've become numb to them. :lol:

The crack is supposed to be a mark where the chain was broken. Someone bashed it with the shovel or something.

I fleshed out the beach a bit more, and learn quite a bit about what looks like sand and what doesn't. I'm not totally happy with it though. I think I might try adding a bit of dithering, that might give it a grainy texture like sand...  or it might just make a big mess.

I also attempted to add a crown in the chest. I actually like the crown I made but I'm having trouble making it look like it fits in. Here's the crown just placed on top of the gold

and then here is my pretty lame attempt to make it look more like it's embedded in the chest. I'll keep playing with it on my own but maybe someone has some insight here:

Offline Jehannum

• MMA-inspired Artist
    • jehannumma
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 03:33:47 pm
have you considered adding some little studded gems to the crown? would mean you could add a few colours like red and green perhaps, and it would then stand out a bit more.

I'm sat here with my chest all puffed out after seeing you applying changes based on my critique  ;D

I love the slice in the wood now
-----Working on my sig-----