AuthorTopic: [UNPAID] Exprienced homebrew developer looking for artist for NES adventure game  (Read 2487 times)

Offline gauauu

• View Profile
TL;DR Summary:

I'm getting ready to start a fairly large-scale homebrew NES adventure game, and am looking to partner with a pixel artist. 

I'm likely going to shoot for either a zelda-like adventure game (another sequel in my Anguna series), or a futuristic side-scrolling metroidvania-style game.  The details are still in design, and I'm happy to collaborate on those details.

This is unpaid. I like to release my games for free (often open source) and am interested in working with somebody that also enjoys that model.  That said, I'd probably want to release a cartridge, so there might likely be money involved at some point to split.

Who I am:

I've made a small handful of homebrew games over the past 15 years, for Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Atari 2600, and NES (as well as some Android game development)  You can see some of my past projects at www.bitethechili.com.  I'm new here on this forum, but have been involved with the GBA, DS, and Atari homebrew communities for awhile. 
  As I mentioned above, I like to make games for the fun of doing it, and to let people play them. So I'm not particularly profit-focused. I tend to release the source of my games. 
  I'm also slow-moving.  Between work, family, and friends, my game development doesn't happen at a fast pace.  Most of my larger games have been 3-year projects, and I would be surprised if this new game happens faster than that.

My Goal:

My next goal is to make a large-scale adventure game for the NES.  As I mentioned above, my two primary ideas that I'm working with now are either another zelda-like game in my Anguna series, or a sci-fi metroidvania game (something inspired by the old Blaster Master game, but with a bit more of a metroid exploration vibe).  I'm not 100% set on either of these, and I'm excited about the idea of working out the details with an artist. 

I'm just now in the early phases of planning, so there's not much momentum yet, but I'm confident that we could make something awesome. (I haven't made an ugly prototype yet, because I believe the graphics can really guide the game design) When finished (maybe in 3 years or so?) I'd like to release it as a free download, as well as a full cartridge release (assuming cartridge hardware is still available at that time!)

What I'm looking for:

I'm looking for a pixel artist who can design all the visual artwork/graphics for the game.  I'm also interested in that person having some ideas to bring along -- this isn't about you just making graphics that I ask for, it's about coming up with a design together -- which is why I've left the game premise a bit open-ended so far.  If you have other talents to bring (music composition, level design, etc?) that's great as well, although that's not my primary focus at the moment. 

If anyone is interested, let me know!

Offline gauauu

• View Profile
Follow-up: I've found someone to work with for now.  Thanks all!