AuthorTopic: [NEWBIE] [WIP] [CC] Video game character  (Read 7866 times)

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: [NEWBIE] [WIP] [CC] Video game character

Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 10:09:24 pm
Oh, I didn't even notice but I see it now, yeah! It looks pretty good, adds a lot to the leg definition.

On to other criticisms: The gun-arm doesn't really read as such right now, it looks more like a torn shirt sleeve. Perhaps some kind of gun barrel, attachment, or light of some sort to make it more clear?
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline BeckaMan

• Qapla'
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 10:52:09 pm
Oh, I didn't even notice but I see it now, yeah! It looks pretty good, adds a lot to the leg definition.

On to other criticisms: The gun-arm doesn't really read as such right now, it looks more like a torn shirt sleeve. Perhaps some kind of gun barrel, attachment, or light of some sort to make it more clear?

Yes, the buster was actually the next thing I was going to get to! :)
Of course the projectile FX is going to give it more of a weapon look, but the base arm cannon design needs some work. I'll get to it after the holidays. One idea was to make it "fatter" but I had trouble making it look round instead of a box because of the limited pixels. The original inspiration was Mega Man's buster, but it could be something different.

I do know I don't want him holding a gun in his fist. It needs to be an attached gun arm. He starts of as a skeleton who attaches robot parts to his body (weapon, armor, slide/dash boots etc. left over from his robot enemies [this ties into the story of him becoming "whole" and meeting his maker, your basic quest for identity story...]) I'll need to think about this...

Edit: Just an idea.. How about making all the upgrades "bone related". Here's the Carpal Buster!
(just a rough idea)
I wasn't thinking of adding an Ocarina style "Navi" character, but this Carpal skull dude could work well as a Morte (Planescape Torment) kind of dude making some quips along the way :D

« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:39:58 pm by BeckaMan »

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 12:18:43 am
Ooh, that's actually a pretty solid idea! The current design is neat too, has kind of a tumor-y look to it, but I encourage you to try out some other ideas, like maybe animal skulls!

Offline BeckaMan

• Qapla'
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 11:48:33 am
I'll think about the weapon later. Now I need to get the basic pose of the idle to be OK, so I can move on to a run cycle. I got some advice over at pixeljoint about the feet. They said both shouldn't be pointing to the extreme right.

I tried turning his right leg towards the viewer but I'm not sure if it reads as such...?

Shoot!

Should I do the shooting animation in two frames like that where first is just a standing one and then shoot. Or just use the one shooting frame and when player shoots it goes straight into the shooting pose from what ever idle frame it was in?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 02:22:34 pm by BeckaMan »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 02:59:43 pm
Will the character be able to talk too? That might complicate the transition situation if you decide to do transition frames. I usually just go to the attack animation. With small sprites and small movements like most idle animations, the lack of transition is usually not even noticeable.

The attacks should probably be more than one frame. There could be a transition frame to show the character raising their arm, but most importantly I think you need some wind-down after the attack. Kickback, the character reacting to what they just did, that sort of thing. Otherwise, you're probably better off not animating anything, or it'll look weird. It's easier to accept that there's a different still sprite for different actions than it is to have something nicely animated, and have the attack not animated.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 03:01:43 pm by eishiya »

Offline BeckaMan

• Qapla'
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 03:40:11 pm
He might have a few lines but I probably won't animate him talking. Might also just be a silent character, script is not nearly done.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking maybe two frames for the attack: the one I have where he points the gun and a second one for a small kickback from the shot. Although, for example Mega Man (NES) only has one frame shooting and it looks fine...

Edit:
I tried something like this. Not sure if it would work very well when the character can rapid fire, though... Maybe for a slower shot it works and the basic mega man style shots wouldn't be animated

« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 04:05:18 pm by BeckaMan »

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 06:26:38 pm
The lil hood tip should be behind the head, otherwise looks good!

Offline BeckaMan

• Qapla'
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 27, 2016, 06:32:18 pm
The lil hood tip should be behind the head, otherwise looks good!

I tried to make it look like it moves from the guns recoil.

Tried my hand at a run animation. This is tough...!

Edit: Shortened the legs and some minor edits
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:53:31 pm by BeckaMan »

Offline BeckaMan

• Qapla'
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 12:07:21 pm
Here's a run cycle while not shooting and one where Skully is blasting away:

"Come 'ere baddy!"

"Time to split!"

Reaching new heights

Edit: tested the jump in-game, it's going to need more frames. I don't know why Mega Man's jump looks just fine with just one frame but mine didn't? : /
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:57:32 pm by BeckaMan »

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 02:45:27 pm
Broken image link!