AuthorTopic: Overwatch demake: Bastion  (Read 3143 times)

Offline rosagi

• View Profile

Overwatch demake: Bastion

on: December 02, 2016, 09:47:29 pm
Trying to claw my way back into this pixelling thing after polygons for a stint..  so much still to be learned with pixels. (Mostly) 8 colours so far, though I've been tooling around a bit  with 128 x 128 16 colours as set limitation. More or less straight up from reference atm while I find my legs, I'm thinking about trying more characters but perhaps at another scale?

- environment obv needs work but just for fun

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:04:50 pm by rosagi »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Overwatch character demake: Bastion

Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 09:57:48 pm
Broken imahes, friend!
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline rosagi

• View Profile

Re: Overwatch character demake: Bastion

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 10:17:36 pm
hmm.. okay fixed :P
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 11:29:02 pm by rosagi »

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Re: Overwatch demake: Bastion *fixed

Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 11:50:14 pm
Hm, I'd say he's too binary-shaded here, and your pose looks way too similar to some of the promotional art.
The former makes him ill-suited to the background, and the latter makes him look cut-and-pasted into the scene.
Try to revise the pose a bit to fit the background more, and tweak the shading to be less harsh. Even just changing that one color could help with that, but I encourage you to make another pass over it to try and refine things!

Offline rosagi

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 02:29:46 am
Agreed -the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree in terms of the pose, I also agree about the background I could have at least created some bounce colour from the ground - he was hastily plonked in there . All good points, and thanks!

Offline rosagi

• View Profile

Re: Overwatch demake: Bastion

Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 05:14:54 am
a few dirty modifications, keeping a bit of a darker scheme for overall contrast. That'll learn me for making the environment and palette an afterthought..

Offline MysteryMeat

• mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!

Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 05:36:33 am
Certainly getting there, but it still feels disconnected! Perhaps the lack of shadow or consistent light source?

Offline rosagi

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 09:04:01 pm
yes lighting was very inconsistent (thanks for the poke), rather obvious with such flat planes. Playing with the pose in a more neutral environment but Im wary of forcing upon the old rather than re-establishing from scratch.  I can see what you mean about a certain 'disconnnectedness' thought I think this may also have to do with an inconsistent eye point so I'm trying to redraw some parts. Head orientation also seems to contradict the pose too much so I changed it back- orientation at this scale required firm commitment!

Also, antialiasing/silhouette blending seems specific to the environment but I feel it communicates the form better. Seems I have to narrow my purpose down, will this be a character in a fixed environment or multiple environments? Is fidelity to the character more important than pixel composition? Looking at the revision next to the old one, by trying to vary the pose I've created a far more static one, meddling with the foreshortening is making feel like I should have drawn a structural sketch beforehand, hmm.. I need some sleep :ouch: Further criticisms appreciated.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 10:47:57 pm by rosagi »

Offline rosagi

• View Profile

Re: Overwatch demake: Bastion

Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 04:03:48 am
Okay so that bowed reorientation of the leg has to go I've decided..why do I have a feeling that this problem has been resolved before by many artists throughout time
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 04:06:10 am by rosagi »