AuthorTopic: Best way to create similar art style  (Read 3708 times)

Offline pastuh

• View Profile

Best way to create similar art style

on: October 09, 2016, 05:06:28 pm
Hello.
I want to create similar art style buildings for game Industry Giant 2

And i noticed, style very similar to Pixel art..
But maybe images was created with 3d program?

Please give me some info. Thanks  :)

Offline Kairos

• xlion95
    • View Profile

Re: Best way to create similar art style

Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 05:49:14 pm
I think those may be 3D renders that were then retouched manually.

Offline Retronator

• Matej 'Retro' Jan
    • retronator
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/24236.htm
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • View Profile
    • Retronator

Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 11:28:47 am
The similarity is that it's rendered with isometric projection. Like Kairos suggested, these are almost certainly 3D models rendered to isometric. I wouldn't even think they need to touch up things.

So if you want this style, learn (low-poly) 3D modeling and painting textures and then render the result with orthographic camera.

I really like work by OrangeMagik in this style. In his case he uses 3dsmax + Photoshop for textures.

Offline pastuh

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 02:39:33 pm
Amazing, its 100% similar art style.

I know how to create 3D objects (basics.. like cup, door, house..)
I know how to use photoshop and create textures.

But i need atleast some info how to render such style graphic.
Maybe exist some tips and tricks special for this art..

Maybe you know some tutorials?
Thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 03:06:00 pm by pastuh »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 03:01:22 pm
Use an orthographic (not perspective) camera, positioned 30 degrees above the horizontal, and 45 degrees (halfway) between the two horizontal axes, aimed at the origin (0,0). Or, if you want true isometric rather than pixel-isometric, position the camera 35.264 degrees above the horizontal. The camera can be as zoomed out or zoomed in as you want, it can be at any distance, as long as the angles are maintained, because orthographic cameras do not have perspective distortion.
Wikipedia has an illustration of this set-up (for true isometric).

Keep the light source the same on all the pieces, and make it a directional light, not a point light. Directional lights can be placed anywhere in the scene, and their angles correspond to the angle of the sun in the sky, essentially. The horizontal angle should be 90 degrees leftward of the camera (so, 45 degrees in the opposite direction of an axis from the camera) The lower the pitch of the directional light, the longer the shadows will be, so make sure you keep it high enough that the shadows aren't too big. The models should feel "self-contained", and that means relatively small shadows.
Since I am not confident in my text description, here's a sketch of the camera and light set-up that might help.

Beyond that, it's just a matter of making a model that looks good. When working on your model, always keep a view open to see what it looks like in the "isometric" camera, since not everything will look good at that angle.

It's possible that there is no actual lighting in the examples and the shadows and highlights are painted on the textures, at least in Retronator's examples, where the shadows do not really match the the details of the models. They might've gotten some initial shadows by rendering an untextured, simplified model with basic lighting, and using that as a guide to paint the shadows on the texture, and adding more details to the model later. Leaving out shadows from certain details might seem like a mistake, but it actually serves to keep the visual noise down. Since these are seen small, small details don't read well and just look like noise. Simplifying the shadows so that only the main volumes cast shadows helps the scenes look cleaner. Even if the shadows are entirely hand-drawn, the artist still understood the directional light source and its direction.

Offline pastuh

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 02:52:44 pm
I was looking for best method in Blender / 3dmax to create pixelated texture.
I found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3yOCJRaUxc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Bu4ztKR4rU

But maybe exist better / easier method?

I contacted OrangeMagik , but got no response.. so if someone knows how to do this please help :)
Thanks

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 03:24:09 pm
The tutorials that you linked explain how you can produce pre-rendered characters/vehicles for exemple in Diablo 1-2 or Fallout.
It's not "an easy way" in the sense that it is not trivial work; but it's not "a hard way" in the sense that there's no unneeded step in the process, and once you have everything set up, you can render all the angles that you need - which is often 8 or 16.

If you are only going to render one angle, you can shorten this process by not designing, modelling and texturing the "back" of the model.

Offline pastuh

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 07:39:24 am
Yrizoud thanks, yes i thought about working on 1 angle too.

I got response from image author OrangeMagik:
Actually, I don't use painted textures at all. It is really less time-consuming for me to model all details and assign to them simple matrials (diffuse+specular). When I need tiled/grainy/noisy material I usually use procedural maps (tiles/cellular/noise etc) for diffuse and sometimes bump channels.
There are no tricks in rendering process either. You just need a set up with ortogonal camera and default lights.
To achieve "pixelated" look I use very sharp AA filter such as Catmull-Rom. You can try to render without AA, but in this case you will need to pay much more attention to the size of details (I'll give you some examples below).
Then, I overpaint renders in photoshop to add some details & textures, clean edges etc.
There is example of final render just before overpaint: imgur.com/AsY3oZ7

Example renders with catmull-rom AA: imgur.com/An8O1ij
and without AA: imgur.com/k0R0DKN

And the last thing: all models I make for this kind of work are very simple and intended only for the render from one ortogonal view, thus they usually don't have backfaces and any details that will be hidden from camera: imgur.com/aHe5B83

So.. all thanks, i got enough information!
Goodbye  :crazy:

Offline Retronator

• Matej 'Retro' Jan
    • retronator
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/24236.htm
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • retronator
    • View Profile
    • Retronator

Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 01:13:53 am
Oh this is awesome to see his process! I'm glad he replied. Had no idea he just models all the details. Smart.