AuthorTopic: Commercial Critique Challenge - The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap  (Read 26893 times)

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile
Welcome to this CC's challenge! I gotta say, I think this is a tough one, as Minish Cap is already quite beautiful, and I feel the GBA's capabilities were used pretty darn well. Then again, I'm no artist, and I sure as hell wouldn't mind seeing some surprises in here :) So.. make it better! Make it yours! Make it different!

First off, some details on the GBA's restrictions:
  • 240x160 pixels, 15 bits of color information per pixel
  • no backlight on the original model of the GBA
  • 4 individual tilemap layers
  • a maximum of 128 sprites
  • three different tile modes which you can read more about here
  • three different bitmap modes which you can read more about here
  • some info on sprite restrictions can be found here

You can read about the GBA's capabilities in detail on this beautiful website.

Now, as for what part of Minish Cap to touch up.. that's up to you! Any part of the game you like. For a rough overview, here are the screenshots from the analysis thread again:

As you all know, I'm not an artist, but there can't be any CC challenge without something that gets the ball rolling, so I figured I'd at least touch up the mirror shield icon. I always thought that thing was sorta out of place:

Time to push pixels, everyone! Have fun~
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 12:54:31 pm by Crow »
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Siikikala

• View Profile

Started to make more of a "my version" than just fixing what i think looks bad. Pretty rough version of one of the screens, i'd hope someone else would do their version on the game too with their own style.  :)

Offline RetrauxJunk

• View Profile
 :-[ Sorry if this topic's too old to post in, or whatever. I just didn't think it was worth making a new one for. Also, I wasn't super sure where to start on improving MC's spritework, so instead I re-imagined it as a port of a NES game. Also, I can't seem to get the image link to work, so here's a text one instead:

http://retrauxjunk.deviantart.com/art/NES-Minish-Cap-673201607