AuthorTopic: [ OPEN ] Professional Artist ( Pixel art, digital art, concept, animation )  (Read 19340 times)

Offline Animator

• View Profile
Situation Resolved, comments withdrawn.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 05:10:17 pm by Animator »

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!
You do realize that's not how copyright works, right?
And that it's not related in the slightest to you stealing and building off his work?
The debate isn't about the legality of this, it's about the morality of it.
Not sourcing the sprites you work from (and, as surt showcased, the animations you trace) is a scummy move and may also count under plagiarism law, if you do want to get legal with it.

Stop trying to deflect, you did a bad thing. Apologize and don't do it in the future, dragging it out like this just makes you come off as incredibly disingenuous.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43310.htm
    • View Profile
Situation resolved. Comments withdrawn.

You do realize that's not how copyright works, right?
And that it's not related in the slightest to you stealing and building off his work?
The debate isn't about the legality of this, it's about the morality of it.
Not sourcing the sprites you work from (and, as surt showcased, the animations you trace) is a scummy move and may also count under plagiarism law, if you do want to get legal with it.

Stop trying to deflect, you did a bad thing. Apologize and don't do it in the future, dragging it out like this just makes you come off as incredibly disingenuous.

Pretty much. ^

The Wyvern was fan art- I never intended my pixel rendition of it to be used for profit.
It also is my art. I don't approve of you using it and passing it as your work.

Long version; I re-adapted this creature concept (3D, low poly) into pixel art form. Requiring substantial study to make it work in the FFT style, and be a perfect fit. A skill and capabilities demo in and of itself, if I had wanted to display it in my 2008 portfolio: "Look at my skills in creating a concept in this format. Do you like it, (possible future client)?"
"Here's the original concept, (client), so you can compare. It's from [game]." - Credit is important, so they know exactly what they're getting.
"Yes, I can turn your concepts into pixel art versions."

Similarly, your portfolio should be full of these clarifications and credit giving where credit is due, especially if your only role in the displayed work was to add animation frames. Or tracing from another 2D work. Or sprite recoloring/amalgamating.
Stealing and ripping are entirely different issues altogether. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:24:12 pm by Vagrant »

Offline MikePixel

• View Profile
The plot thickens.

Honestly Animator, it looks like a lot of your work has the same issues as whats going on but this is the first time you've been really called out. It finally caught up with you and its going to continue happening until you start working with ethics and morals in mind. I promise that if you stopped using all of your old work and begun working fresh, creating from scratch and using reference like it was intended you would feel a lot more pride in your work, and probably even feel embarrassed for defending yourself now.

We put a lot of effort into our work, and to see it stolen and then defended is a really crappy thing. You will understand if you begin to work with pride in regards to your art. There is not a real excuse for what you have done on such a level. I think its best to apologize and restart.

Also side note, if you get your skills up and can create beautiful works of art without tracing, clients will pay you more. More pride and more money sounds like a good plan to me.

We're all responsible for our character.

Offline Animator

• View Profile
Situation Resolved, comments withdrawn.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 05:10:43 pm by Animator »

Offline Animator

• View Profile
Alright, as you can see I removed temporarily everything from my portfolio.

I would like you Vagrant, IIII, MysteryMeat or someone else from your friends
to provide a link to a portfolio that exists here on Pixelation that is considered
to have the appropriate structure according all the rules you mentioned.

I will follow the pattern and present it to the administration for approval.

Online 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • angusdoolanart
    • View Profile
I would suggest that you only post work which you created start to finish in order to avoid confusion. Just post a few of your best works, that way anyone that looks at your portfolio knows exactly what quality of work they can expect from you personally.

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43310.htm
    • View Profile
Actually, it's fine if you post all of your pieces again Animator, wyvern included.
But they would have to be organised differently, and with descriptions detailing the actual nature of your work in them:

"This was an animation based on this, [original sprite I didn't make], provided by my client."
"This sprite was a study of [original sprite]'s animation frames, from [original game]."
"This piece was edited from [original sprite], done by [original artist], for the purposes of... ect."

"My role in this job was to... ect."

If your work is original on the other hand, you don't really need to worry about any of this. Even if you're referencing from a pre-existing design, or straight-out borrowing it, if the rendition is yours, it falls under the 'derivative work' category.

Do consider though that taking that pre-existing design, and say, if I were to take that specific wyvern rendition, or say "Mickey Mouse" name and all, and put it on my game for my own profit? You are going to have troubles.

But are you doing it for non-profit reasons, like having it on your portfolio to display skill? It's perfectly fine. I currently have portraits in the style of Final Fantasy Tactics on my own gallery myself.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:54:59 pm by Vagrant »

Offline Animator

• View Profile
Guys, judging from your advises I actually now understand why you became suspicious about my
presentations as a whole.

Presenting exclusively things I have done by my own hand cannot be always the case for 2 reasons

1) Clients sometimes allow only specific artwork for presentation that is limited

2 ) As I mentioned, aside from things I did only by myself, I am also the Lead artist in many projects.
Lead artist means the one who creates the initial artistic direction for a team of artists to follow, supervising
them and also being responsible for the final appearance for the art as a whole. That means I also need
to redraw areas to look better , correct animation sequenses others did , it is a great responsibility and amount
of work necessary in the creation of a game. In a lot of projects that gets really complicated, for a single sprite
there are cases where 3 people have worked , for example one making the leaves of a tree, another one the trunk
and another one the grass underneath. And I need to take all these and make sure they are consistent.
This is an actual service I provide that is absolutely necessary when large games need to be made at a very short
time. A very good example is this game

These screenshots are the ones the client allows to be published at the moment.
My role in these was exactly this :
- The lion king image at the middle right was made after this top right spite provided by the client.
So I did this draft

Then, a different artist traced it and put the colors

Problem was this artist`s style was too capcom-like. He removed details and gave shading is too simple.
So I had to work on it and make it like this

Same goes for backgrounds, I had to create mockups of the initial ones until the artist understands how
the finals should look like and what technique he should follow to achieve this scrappy retro result
consistently.

These are all technical details that are too much to explain to a portfolio presentation. And considering
the limited tools this forum gives for page costumization, the portfolio would look full of text instead of
full of images, which is mostly what a client needs to see to understand what he will get.

It would not be fair on the other hand not to present this game sheet just because others have touched it as well,
as my name will also appear in it to an important role, even if it is complicated to explain what exactly my part
was.

I will try to make some of these clarifications when I re upload the images to a reasonable extend however
please don`t consider it suspicious when you see a variety of styles, I am not working on one style only.