AuthorTopic: [ OPEN ] Professional Artist ( Pixel art, digital art, concept, animation )  (Read 18152 times)

Offline Animator

• View Profile
???

Daminit he's back.

Now I'm actually getting pissed!

This picture you posted also http://i68.tinypic.com/202ik2.jpg doesn`t explain what kind of copyrights you
have on it.

Or the case is that you took an existing idea, made a pixel art version of it, named it same as the original and
published it globaly ? I mean how do you believe was it stolen from you, you had uploaded somewhere with global access or directly from your hard disk ?

If it is the first case, you are good.
If it is the second, you shouldn`t have done it without a license from the FFT company.
One could easily accuse you for idea theft and unauthorised publication, if he was bad willing.
And it would also mean that you should consider your part of responsibility for this whole mess,
as you initialy provided something you shouldn`t have.

Unlike you who obviously has no creativity; Vagrant doesn't need a pre-existing model to create something off of. I stand as a witness that this was his concept and original art. Just give it up.

Also you can't deny that Bomblord is mine nor can you deny the frame ripping Surt posted.
There is no reason to get upset III.
Regarding your sprite, the bottom left one, I was not asked to animate it.
The client told me that yours is the original and that the monster above it was done by the artist he hired
as a simpler quality boss sprite in order not to offend your copyrights. I have kept the emails and I can show
them to you if necessary.

It appears that what he told me was probably not true but what is certain is that your work
is not involved in this issue.

Let me know if it clear regarding your part .

I would also like Vagrant to answer my question, please let him do so.
To make more specific my concern, for example when I type on the net FF Wyvern Monster
I find this

It looks to me like a 3d version of Vagrant`s sprite. And a quick search shows many others like this.
I never played an FF title to know which comes first and what characters it includes so I am asking Vagrant if his
sprite was officially made for the FF company or if it was made as a hobby after he saw a concept like the image
I just posted of that monster.

I can reply about the flying owl also, I am just trying to keep an order to the conversation, however
if the moderators or the admin prefer me to do that before clearing the issue with Vagrant, let me know.

Offline MysteryMeat

• "The new alternative to q-tipping your cat!"
    • mysterymeat
    • spoiledmysterymeat
    • View Profile
    • My rad art blog!
You do realize that's not how copyright works, right?
And that it's not related in the slightest to you stealing and building off his work?
The debate isn't about the legality of this, it's about the morality of it.
Not sourcing the sprites you work from (and, as surt showcased, the animations you trace) is a scummy move and may also count under plagiarism law, if you do want to get legal with it.

Stop trying to deflect, you did a bad thing. Apologize and don't do it in the future, dragging it out like this just makes you come off as incredibly disingenuous.
PSA: use imgur
http://pixelation.org/index.php?topic=19838.0 also go suggest on my quest, cmon
MAJOR BORK TALLY: |

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43310.htm
    • View Profile
You do realize that's not how copyright works, right?
And that it's not related in the slightest to you stealing and building off his work?
The debate isn't about the legality of this, it's about the morality of it.
Not sourcing the sprites you work from (and, as surt showcased, the animations you trace) is a scummy move and may also count under plagiarism law, if you do want to get legal with it.

Stop trying to deflect, you did a bad thing. Apologize and don't do it in the future, dragging it out like this just makes you come off as incredibly disingenuous.

Pretty much. ^

The Wyvern was fan art- I never intended my pixel rendition of it to be used for profit.
It also is my art. I don't approve of you using it and passing it as your work.

Long version; I re-adapted this creature concept (3D, low poly) into pixel art form. Requiring substantial study to make it work in the FFT style, and be a perfect fit. A skill and capabilities demo in and of itself, if I had wanted to display it in my 2008 portfolio: "Look at my skills in creating a concept in this format. Do you like it, (possible future client)?"
"Here's the original concept, (client), so you can compare. It's from [game]." - Credit is important, so they know exactly what they're getting.
"Yes, I can turn your concepts into pixel art versions."

Similarly, your portfolio should be full of these clarifications and credit giving where credit is due, especially if your only role in the displayed work was to add animation frames. Or tracing from another 2D work. Or sprite recoloring/amalgamating.
Stealing and ripping are entirely different issues altogether. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:52:19 pm by Vagrant »