AuthorTopic: Moai  (Read 5894 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Moai

Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 02:39:32 pm
But seriously though, isn't that the point. Or maybe Pixelation has changed a lot from back in the day...

Yes, exactly. I think we all have moved on from the whole "less colors is better" meme a few years ago.

The problem is that a lot of people were compressing their palettes for the sake of reducing color count. Going less than 16 colors is more of an exercise in restraint than being actually useful in the real world.

That's just how I perceive it. Pixeljoint is still a tiny bit more conservative, but they are a specific retro art gallery, so that makes sense.

This might all seem a little off-topic, but I think it might be the only thing worth discussing about this piece, because aside from the palette and the slightly blurry AA, this piece looks pretty solid to me.

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 03:25:38 am
Nice work but the texture really ruins it for me. I would just try to convey that texture with a few large pockmarks. Large meaning bigger than a single pixel, so that you can show whether the marks are convex (shadow at bottom) or concave (shadow at top).

Also, AA needs work.
Good luck.

Re: off-topic: I actually found Ultimaodin's color-reduce more pleasant to look at. & I feel that way about low-color generally. So I guess that's just some subjective thing on which reasonable people will disagree.

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 03:13:53 am
Ok I am going to have to jump into this discussion if though I'm not a very good pixel artist myself.
I have nothing against high colour counts, In fact I like the high detail one can produce with an unlimited pallet.
However smaller colour counts are better. Now before you jump to conclusion what I mean is for the creator.
Having an unlimited pallet can cause the artist to use colours/shades unnecessarily which can break contrast and sharpness.
It's also a lot harder to spot which pixel is an issue when there are so many around it. (which I learnt the hard way doing my dithering practice)
The biggest issue with high colour counts is the increased difficulty for changing colours.
Changing the six I converted it to was easy because I only really modified four of the values. With over a hundred shades, altering each colour to precision would be incredibly tedious.

Also on a subjective view I like to see pixels in pixel art so I like the texture. I also personally hate AA on outside edges, yet again a personal view. All art including Pixel art is in the eye of the beholder. Someone can hate an image while another person may love it. In pixel art though people tend to aim for pleasing the majority. (After all they are your market)

I have to agree with Gil, I think the piece is solid, I'd just try to shift the lighter and darker colours towards yellows and blues, leaving the middle colours relatively unsaturated. (Which is where reducing the colours comes in handy, as stated above)