AuthorTopic: Moai  (Read 5893 times)

Offline snakesqzns

• View Profile

Moai

on: February 27, 2010, 12:00:57 am

Not sure where to go from here.  I intended this to be greyscale only, but now I'm regretting not starting with some color.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Re: Moai

Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 12:24:43 am
I like the greyscale. I don't think you could have achieved the same effect you have. It's very grainy and interesting.

Offline Starscream

• Transform!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 12:28:47 am

Why so many colors? There are like over 100 shades of grey. This version is 4 colors, and I gave you a couple palettes, mostly just so you could see how it would turn out in color.
Conquest is made of the ashes of one's enemies.

Offline snakesqzns

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 12:32:55 am
I haven't reduced the number of colors on this yet.  For this one I didn't start with a limited palette -- just picked different values as I needed them.

Offline snakesqzns

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 12:37:37 am

Why so many colors? There are like over 100 shades of grey. This version is 4 colors, and I gave you a couple palettes, mostly just so you could see how it would turn out in color.

What did you use to reduce the colors?  Photoshop's Posterize doesn't do as nice a job.

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 02:17:25 am
I don't know about photoshop but Paint Shop Pro is pretty good for reducing colours. Here's what photoshop did when reducing down to six colours. I'd still personally adjust some things but then again that would be your role. =D

I also altered the colours to give you an idea of what you could go with. (Note I'm just working off what I've learned, I am not the best pixel artist by a very long... long shot)
Still looks grey but feels more natural.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 02:44:39 am
Reducing colors is good for changing the palette, but otherwise useless. What's wrong with a little excess?

The 4-color version lacks range and the 6-color version is still way too grainy.

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 08:15:06 am
I agree with Gil, as long as you're not going to replicate it or recolor it (which is easily done in photoshop anyway) then many colors are fine to have.
I don't really understand this obsession with few colors...
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 09:11:29 am
I haven't reduced the number of colors on this yet.  For this one I didn't start with a limited palette -- just picked different values as I needed them.

If you had started with a 16 grey span from black to white you'd hardly have needed any more at any step of the way. It's a good idea to start with a ramp like that.

Offline Starscream

• Transform!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 05:16:56 pm
@Helm: Exactly, he didn't _have_ to go all the way down to four, but I feel like 4 gets the job done. But over a hundred, for the same tone, definitely overkill.

@Lizzrd: Says the guy with the 2 color avatar. :P But seriously though, isn't that the point. Or maybe Pixelation has changed a lot from back in the day...

@Gil: The statues are very rough looking. Example:

Though, I agree, a little cleanup on the dither would do it some justice.
Conquest is made of the ashes of one's enemies.