AuthorTopic: Fem Fatal  (Read 17126 times)

Offline sfried

• View Profile

Fem Fatal

on: February 26, 2010, 02:11:50 am
Part of an ongoing series of characters who all have drawing as a common theme.

Oh, and forgive the right hand. I'm not sure whether it is too abreviated or it needs more detail to match the left (the one holding the pen). I know some sprites I've seen like to cheat with the number of fingers by blending them into a clump and assuming they're 2/3 fingers close together, but hopefully you can trust me that there are five digits in there :P.

Since Pixelation's colour layout tends to hide things, here's a version sparsed with a green background.

Again, I'm working on 4bit/16 colours, but I got a few swatches left so may work more on her gown. (And I agree, it looks too plain for now.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 02:15:58 am by sfried »

Offline twodayslate

• View Profile
    • twitter

Re: Fem Fatal

Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 02:17:53 am

Offline STE 86

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 07:34:45 am
in all honesty Sfried, i am not convinced by the pose.

if there's a reason for that pose then apologies, but to me "femme fatale" is a seductress or vamp. with a corresponding secductive  and confident pose.

think "Jessica Rabbit" like these:

Steve

Offline sfried

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 08:46:19 am
in all honesty Sfried, i am not convinced by the pose.

if there's a reason for that pose then apologies, but to me "femme fatale" is a seductress or vamp. with a corresponding secductive  and confident pose.
Perhaps "femme fatal" was a little too much. Didn't want her to become a total seductress or anything like that. But I do agree she could use a more confident (if not a little flamboyant/oppulent) posture. Maybe once I get this animated...

Just wanted to make sure her proportions are ok for a fighting game. The original sprite I worked on was 155px in height (which I think is too tall). I reduced it by 10 while still trying to maintaining the feeling of an adult character.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 08:49:48 am by sfried »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:40:34 am
her toes pointing inwards hurt what you're going for. I'd make the feet parallel with one leg stressed.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 11:25:43 am
I also think that as much as it's in the pose, the facial expression is taking me away from vampness.  She's got a totally generic anime, "i look like i'm teasing you in a slightly annoying, stupid and unsexy way" face.  Part of where things fall apart is that she's lacking any depth or seriousness, and you'll need one or the other at least I think.

Although I'll also say STE - that second reference is the least convincing jessica rabbit i've ever seen.  While the original sprite might suggest the attitude of a teenage boy, that model suggests the attitude uncomfortable wallpaper.  It's the top reference that really nails it.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 06:49:56 pm
As others pointed out, the pose does not suggest confidence.  Hands across the breasts and both toes pointed inwards suggest uncertainty, cry out 'don't look at me'.  I think at least one arm/hand should be out away from the body.   There's got to be a good reference image of a 30s-40s nightclub singer or something similar somewhere (failing at the Google at the moment).

The face bugs me a bit.  The eyes are equal in size and on the same horizontal line, implying the face is pointing forward, or near forward.  This holds all the way down the face until the mouth, which is at a strong angle.  The mouth angle combined with the neck tilt suggest the head should be either tilted or turned a bit.   

The hair, on the other hand, has a larger mass on the top on our left than on our right, which looks contrary to the suggested tilt/turn of the head.  You could swap the hair left/right or add additional shading details to convey an asymmetric part in the hair.  Either would work.

Tourist

Offline STE 86

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 07:56:21 pm
another option would be to google image search "elvira" the 80's classic vamp look:

Steve

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 11:23:21 pm
There is a very interesting effect going on with that green background.  There is a tiny tiny white line that is way smaller than a pixel like 1/8th maybe smaller and it's lining the left side of her dress.  This is happening because of the red and green close together.  I'm trying to recall what color theory said about this but I think it has to do with the eye being exhausted from looking at nearly 2 opposite colors(though that would be cyan) and it creates that outline.  Not sure if that's the effect you were going for.  Perhaps someone well versed in color theory could go into more detail.[

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 01:57:51 am
There is a very interesting effect going on with that green background.  There is a tiny tiny white line that is way smaller than a pixel like 1/8th maybe smaller and it's lining the left side of her dress.  This is happening because of the red and green close together.  I'm trying to recall what color theory said about this but I think it has to do with the eye being exhausted from looking at nearly 2 opposite colors(though that would be cyan) and it creates that outline.  Not sure if that's the effect you were going for.  Perhaps someone well versed in color theory could go into more detail.[

Simultaneous contrast...or maybe some LCD pattern issues.....either way, here, not a good thing!
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.