AuthorTopic: Pixel Title  (Read 12296 times)

Offline Ails

• View Profile

Pixel Title

on: February 23, 2010, 11:55:22 pm
I am trying to make a pixeled title for my game. The theme here is tree, so im going for leaves, wood texture and a lot of green

New:

Old:

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:05:22 am by Ails »

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Re: Pixel Title

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 09:50:24 am
Hello!
You should be carefull with what youre sticking too! Try other possabilities too before totally over-AAing stuff and so on!
You'll get lost in details...

Here's something quick I doodled, theres more I could do but just for pointers!
Also be careful with typography, the hierarchy between your A and R is very strong, as the A is above the R
since it's a leaf theme, harmonize it! that's why I fused the A and R in my edit

I also modified the palette a bit, as you can see, more warm shadow tones to the wood and a little colder for the leaves

« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:52:46 am by Elk »
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline STE 86

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:36:12 pm
hi,

extrapolating from the image Elk did u could also maybe combine the letter forms in a "twisted vine" manner something like this:

i have done this with a vector package for speed. tho personally i would always do such things in vector as silhouettes the "fill in the blanks" with pixels.

u could add as many leaves au u like to the "vines" i have just added one here to balance the top left area better.

Steve

edit this may work better
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:20:33 pm by STE 86 »

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 01:46:52 pm
I think the green portion of the letters should be dithered; the current banding is very noticeable (too many colours for flat shading, too few for unnoticeable thin bands).

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 04:59:33 pm
preemptive attempt to not start a confused discussion about 'what is banding?'

questseeker isn't referring to the kind of 'banding' that usually comes up in pixel discussions, where bands of shading creates weird alias by hugging each other

but simply how the different shades don't mix and come off as separate bands of shading

(if I understand correctly)
' _ '

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 05:08:45 pm
preemptive attempt to not start a confused discussion about 'what is banding?'

questseeker isn't referring to the kind of 'banding' that usually comes up in pixel discussions, where bands of shading creates weird alias by hugging each other but simply how the different shades don't mix and come off as separate bands of shading.
Of course I was referring to that: the sort of banding that appears by quantizing a smooth gradient into noticeable bands (not necessarily in the field of pixel art).
Calling it banding was natural; can you suggest a more specific term for this bad-looking quantization?

Offline STE 86

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 06:15:24 pm
whoooo. easy tiger!  :)

Jad, i think was just clarifying the point (possibly in case i jumped on it :) ). with all the terminology flying around on the pixel pushing forums its very easy to confuse one reference with another.

i too would have referred to "banding" in the manner u did, however it seems to have taken on a whole different new meaning on the pixel forums these days.

step back chill out and accept the post for the simple clarification it was.  ;D

and u are right it would benefit from a bit more dithering.

Steve

Offline Ails

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 08:55:52 pm
New update:
I tryed to make dithering (only on the A for now)

Offline HC_Bret_Measor

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 12:49:27 pm
I really like your logo design. Could you tell me what steps you did before laying the pixels down? I've attempted only one logo myself, and I have another one on the way :)

Offline Shrub

• Newbie pixel artist.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 06:46:31 pm
Wow, no critique from me, sorry. Keep on going, this is really good! If I ever get to work on my Pixel Art Flash game, I'll be able to take notes from this thread  :P

Offline Ails

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 01:59:13 am
@HC_Bret_Measor
I started by using a font as a base (Harrington), then I made the outline and the rest is improvisation ^^

Update:

Offline Ails

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 11:22:23 pm
Finaly back with this one :)

Decided to go with a smaller screen. Background is still a mystery, not sure what to put there

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 03:44:58 am

yours left, mine right

I felt like playing with the colors a little bit. I hope you don't mind.  :crazy:

You may want to look at this spot again.  In this area, the tree lacks the flow that it has throughout the rest of the piece.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline beaux

• jebiga
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 02:48:31 am
personally i like the style of the very original one you posted:

the newer your product the more i feel like youre shying away from the pixelated look.  this old one uses less colors and minimizes gradients which is actually what you want if you want the pixelated look.
never thought I'd be glad to get back to this rock again.

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 04:07:22 am
Looks great. The dithering on the letters isn't very flattering - the dithered areas are larger than the solid fill areas. Compare with the dithering on the tree, which looks nice.

Background gradient has noticeable color banding, although it's tolerable at 1x zoom, & less-so at >=2x. Gradients are usually ugly outside of truecolor images - maybe attempt some sort-of pattern dither (unattributed, forgot creator/s).

The colors are good but a little bland, Rydin's edit has potential but the highlights are a bit off.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 04:09:05 am by 7321551 »

Offline Ails

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 10:19:51 pm
Playing a little with NES palette (since the game sprites will be using it)

Tree n° 1
Text n° 1

Tree n° 1
Text n° 2

Tree n° 1
Text n° 3

Tree n° 2
Text n° 4

Tree n° 3
Text n° 5

Tree nº 2
Text nº 3
(my favorite)

Background gradient has noticeable color banding, although it's tolerable at 1x zoom, & less-so at >=2x. Gradients are usually ugly outside of truecolor images - maybe attempt some sort-of pattern dither (unattributed, forgot creator/s).

Background is not going to be like that, thats just a placeholder, and thx for those links

You may want to look at this spot again.  In this area, the tree lacks the flow that it has throughout the rest of the piece.

That area (and others) will be reworked

Last edit:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:04:51 am by Ails »

Offline alspal

• alastair
    • View Profile
    • My games and things

Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 12:19:56 am
I like the last one, not sure about that blue gradient thing in the background though? It just looks like filler, and the colours seemed a lot richer when it wasn't there.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 07:24:28 am

If you're going to stick with the gradient background, use green instead of blue. It will be easier to read against the purple letters.  You want your title screen letters to be BOLD AND COMMANDING, not blendingtogetherwitheverythingelsesoit'shardtoread.  Green and purple contrast nicely, and blue and purple mix together.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 07:28:01 am by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 08:44:59 am
Green also inforces the nature-ness of it all, which helps the tree feel alive!
' _ '

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 09:18:22 am
I agree about using green, although I think the gradiant makes the image too busy, though I think darkening it could fix that

I also made the darker green cooler.
other than that, looks great.

Offline Ails

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 01:59:49 pm
Update:

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 07:34:59 pm
i really like it. its really nice.

personally i really dig this one. it gives it such a nice retro feel. what direction are you going with this project? like what kind of game and style?

Offline e4r

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 08:25:24 pm
I am trying to make a pixeled title for my game. The theme here is tree, so im going for leaves, wood texture and a lot of green

Was curious how come you changed to purple and stuff, when you were going for leaves wood, and green?

Offline Ails

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 09:39:48 pm
what direction are you going with this project? like what kind of game and style?
You can follow game sprites on this topic http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=10498.0
The game is a platformer and you are a warrior that is trying to reach the top of a really big tree to find a treasure/enemy/mystery/whatever (game story is a wip so far)

Was curious how come you changed to purple and stuff, when you were going for leaves wood, and green?
Since its my game, i can change it whenever I want :)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 10:47:54 pm

Since its my game, i can change it whenever I want :)

Hahaha, yeah, I don't think anyone would disagree, but why? O: Just because?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 05:52:52 pm by Jad »
' _ '

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 10:50:47 pm
Not to speak for Ails, but it's definitely more aesthetically pleasing to me than before.  I'd say that's a good enough reason, no?

Offline e4r

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: June 20, 2010, 02:20:52 pm
I like your tree btw, I wanna marry it xD. It's pretty good.