AuthorTopic: Help with Tilesets  (Read 3738 times)

Offline morbis

• Uhhhh
    • View Profile

Help with Tilesets

on: February 28, 2010, 11:03:28 pm
I'm working on a platformer, and i need help coming up with a tileset for a factory.
Any ideas? ???
Christ!

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Re: Help with Tilesets

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 04:50:34 pm
I'm working on a platformer, and i need help coming up with a tileset for a factory.
Any ideas? ???

A side view 2D platformer?
Draw drafts and samplers of your factory on paper: you'll figure out how you want it to look and you'll be ready to determine what pieces need a place in the tileset and an appropriate tile size.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 09:41:04 pm
WELCOME (:

with that out of the way, dude, seriously, this is a sorta weak first post. With what you've provided the only thing I can make out of your post is 'ideas please'

I mean yeah sure, but that's just pure begging. It doesn't REALLY deserve a whole topic! You haven't provided US with anything.

So yes. Give us more info. What kind of game? Do you already have graphics for this, can we see? Do you have ANYTHING for us to help us brainstorm? Coming up with ideas is HARD - not only for you, for us too! I'm sorry but our inspiration is fickle and hard to grasp too, we're not crazy pixeling machines who could throw a little idea your way cause we're already bathing in them - this stuff is hard.

Feel free to help us help you a bit, and if you don't, I'll lock the thread.

(also other maybe-first-posters thinking about making a thread like this, just cause I'm keeping this thread open doesn't mean I think this is what should generally go in this forum - I like a little more meat on my thread, generally. But I also enjoy giving people a chance and see what comes out of any kind of discussion. So this one stays open. Maybe.)
' _ '

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 11:15:37 pm
Yeah, you should definitely post more info. Anyway, the early Sonic series has excellent factory levels that you can use for inspiration.

Of course, rather than taking a realistic approach, these levels are basically broad caricatures of factories that could not actually produce much.

Which I think might evoke a factory better than a realistic depiction would.

What the hell is that? Who cares?

Also notice that all of these shots depict the player interacting with something different. Rather than the factory being merely an ornamental flourish on an otherwise generic platformer level, they designed gameplay elements that were particularly fitting for a factory environment.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 11:17:17 pm
Also notice that all of these shots depict the player interacting with something different. Rather than the factory being merely an ornamental flourish on an otherwise generic platformer level, they designed gameplay elements that were particularly fitting for a factory environment.

THIS!
' _ '

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 12:08:13 pm
Make it look like it's manufacturing something, with stamps pressing liquid metal into shapes and conveyer belts moving the product further.
Dangers could include: Hot things (welders, molten stuff and such), heavy objects being crushed against eachother (presses, falling slabs of metal etc.) and other things, just to get the feeling that something is made there.

And as an added bonus you could have it produce enemies and you would have to destroy some consoles or machinery to stop it.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair