AuthorTopic: Another Iso Bot  (Read 5618 times)

Offline neverest

• View Profile

Another Iso Bot

on: March 22, 2006, 10:57:10 pm
Again practising working with a proper process in mind, but this time trying to incorporate the things I learned from the last one. 14 cols:

and some of the process:

Again, any critiscism welcomed.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Re: Another Iso Bot

Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 11:22:07 pm
Pretty pink hehe. The design is good too.

I think it could use some variance in its highlights. The majority of them seem to be the same brightness. The first spot where light hits is usually the brightest, while the other areas get subsequently darker the further away from the light source, just a tiny bit.

Also are the fingers striped, or is that a shine effect?

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 12:21:26 am
superb work neverest... again.  ;D

I thought the last droid you made was top stuff... this one just takes the Piss... Not sure about the pink mind you - but it's certainly a brave choice - I love the way you manage to capture reflected light... making the surface almost plastic like... it really is excellently observed. It has an almost rendered feel to it. (not sure if that's a compliment mind - lol ;) )

Great to see some construction lines going on too... Do you design these on paper first?

Top stuff!  8)

The only thing I'd think about maybe adding was some kind of markings maybe...? (I'm a sucker for camo...) - or perhaps some bas relief lines indicating panelled sections maybe? Mind you it's a nice clean style - and that might spoil it? Whatcha reckon?

Sorry I couldn't resist... the thought of camo and robots just fills me with joy...

« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 12:44:51 am by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 12:31:05 am
top dollar stuff, you really managed to nail those curvy shapes -except one, the shading of the upper half of the torso looks too flat (and i know that shape has got to be a bitch shading wise), it doesn't look belieable imho, anyways, wouldn't mind seeing more of those, they're ace

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 04:12:08 am
This looks really awesome. The only qualms I have is that the top part of the robot, the torso, looks a bit pillowshaded. Or maybe that's not the right word but... it looks more 2D than 3D for some reason. Think that there's no differentiation between the bot's "shoulder" so it all looks cohesive. Maybe if you chose a darker shade of pink for the front half of his torso, he might not look so 2D?

Offline Miguel

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 09:02:55 am
I am so impressed with the quality of the stuff that has been posted these days here, this is truly an example.

Kicks, man, the pink adds that extra touch on it, and the shading is wonderfully executed, i personally have no crits. just praise.

Yeah.

Offline Radioactivity

• rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 10:52:19 am
looks brilliant :)

The robot wouldn't have much grip though, as it seems to have no joints in its fingers, uness it justs uses it's massives hands to batter the enemy like a club, which would be effking awesome :D

Loving the pink, not the usual robot color which is what i like.

Offline BlackEye

• View Profile
    • blackeye.org

Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 12:37:28 pm
wow the robot design is so lovely
it looks more like a worker robot (for digging holes) to me than a fighting one :)
so ... hmm ... maybe these black/yellow stripes from working machines would fit and give the robot some more contrast and texture
-blackeye-

Offline neverest

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 04:25:14 pm
@Dhaos - Thanks. Yeah the fingers have some shine on them, although I'm not sure how well that works. I did try a version without it as well and I can see it loses much, other than it would eliminate any confusion!

@baccaman21 - Thanks a lot, haha I love the camo edits. Particularly in the olive one, I find it interesting how the browns in the pallette actually work really well in shading the green, particularly on the head.
Its not something I often do, but for these bots I did some rough sketches on paper first just as a reference and to get down the ideas in my head before i forgot them. I also drew a few variations on the hands for this one, finally deciding to ditch any oposable thumbs or grippers.
I always like to draw some guide lines in iso, otherwise my eye always makes me put a bit of perspective on things and the back limbs/whatever end up looking too small when i put it in a game environment.

@ Aleiav & Vedsten - yeah I hadnt really noticed about the torso but I see what you mean. I wouldnt really want to add any more shadow to it or it might make the lightsourcing look a bit off, but I think what baccaman21 has done in his edit is the answer. The line down the sides shows off the shape without having to alter any lighting.

@Blackeye - it was probably intended as a fighting bot, but I see what you mean! I imagine it would be pretty good at digging. somewhat mole-like!

Thanks everyone else, I might do a bit of an update later on.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 06:48:19 pm
Another great robot, Neverest  :o

This robot remember me the game "rise of the robots" if you put more "muscles" in this robots seem the "gorilla robot" in the game XDD