AuthorTopic: [WIP] Forest  (Read 7236 times)

Offline Beelketh

• View Profile
    • Project Angel

[WIP] Forest

on: February 20, 2010, 02:04:11 am
I am currently working on a small project on RPG Maker : I would like to create a city in the trees and I have begun to work on a panorama. I am not very sure of what I am doing and I'd like some advice before going further. For now, I have used 18 colors.

Thanks in advance for c&c :)

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: [WIP] Forest

Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 03:15:15 am
Beautiful!

One thing: the tree looks isometric, or at least slightly from above, but the bg seems viewed slightly from under.

Offline Beelketh

• View Profile
    • Project Angel

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 11:57:36 pm
I did not manage to solve this problem of perspective, but I tried to continue the background, with other tree-houses :

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 11:03:38 am
Very nice. If anything, I'd say most the houses look too small to host that much light in them. I encourage you to add "in-tree houses" to the silouhettos trees in the Bg as well.

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 03:21:48 am
I'd better post so this thread doesn't go too far down, it's too awesome.

I don't know if you're planning to, but I don't think you should detail the silhouette-trees too much. As it is, it's got a nice intelligible focus. maybe just an additional color to give them depth... not sure, though.

I would cast some of that red light out the door onto the leafy platforms.

It's a bit excessively green. Maybe have light of a different hue being cast from the bg - orange, or blue?

& I think it would benefit from a bit of anti-aliasing.

The way you've shaded the trees has influenced how I'm going to approach cylindrical surfaces in general now, so thanks.  :y:

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 08:04:38 am
My only issue is that the houses are so bright inside yet just outside the doors there is shadow. Try either shading the foliage outside the doors to be lighter or remove the extremely bright insides. Honestly I'd prefer the inside beig darker rather than lighter, and it would fix the issue of light sources.

Either way really good work and nice colours.

Offline Beelketh

• View Profile
    • Project Angel

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:08:22 am
Thank you very much for your comments  :)

I tried to change the colours of the entrances, I added two nuances of green in order to AA a bit the foliage and th grass and I tried to refine the whole picture. Here are two versions, one like the previous one and one with a purple hue shift instead of green :

I will try to update this as soon as possible, but due to screen problems, it could be not as regular as I would like to.

Offline Hellaphone

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 10:14:25 am
Awesome! Only one thing sticks out to me: how do they travel from house to house?

Offline Beelketh

• View Profile
    • Project Angel

Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 04:38:15 pm
Another update :

Rope bridges are soon to allow the characters to go from tree to tree.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 07:01:32 pm
The inside lights are still probably too bright, or else some of this light should reach the grass in front of the "doors" too.
The color ranges are too separate between inside / outside, some recycling of yellows in the leaves or reds in the trunks might improve that.

The doors look like openings, but the "windows" don't, look more like eyes. Maybe that's what they are? ;)

The second nest from left looks further away: removing the darkest shade might give more depth to the whole picture.

Can't wait for more updates!