AuthorTopic: Tileset  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Tileset

on: February 18, 2010, 11:32:01 am
Well I'm hanging around an old ORPG community I was at which introduced me to pixel art. And it put me in the mood to mess around with their engine again. So, I'm trying to put together a tileset I can use.

Main problem I'm having it doing grass. I have a problem where when i do something and I don't like it a little, i'll just delete the file, and start from scratch. Only problem is.. that is really discouraging and makes me push away doing it again.

Another thing I'm having trouble with is matching a pallete with the tree and rocks. Might be the way the rocks are done. I can't put my finger on the reason they don't fit together at all.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Tileset

Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 11:07:52 pm
Get some grass colours in there, then adjust the shadows and highlights of all colours to include the same tint in both the shadows and highlights O:

lots of unification will show.

Also it's not a good idea to make the tree and soil share colours exactly. The brain is too happy with categorizing to not think they're the same materials. They can share colours, sure, but make sure that there's some distinction! O:
' _ '

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 03:01:20 am
Get some grass colours in there, then adjust the shadows and highlights of all colours to include the same tint in both the shadows and highlights O:

lots of unification will show.

Also it's not a good idea to make the tree and soil share colours exactly. The brain is too happy with categorizing to not think they're the same materials. They can share colours, sure, but make sure that there's some distinction! O:
Hrm.. I have trouble with picking grass colours, I guess i'll just wing it and hope. like.. idk if i should go with a bright green grass or a dark blueishgreen grass.

As for the tree and soil, they aren't the same colours, I actually did them on two different images, then put together. just an odd coincidence that they are VERY VERY similar. I'll probably change the soil to a gray for actual rock look, and probably re-do it so it looks something like this.
http://www.canoenorthwestontario.ca/sscimages/lakes/IMG_2361_1.jpg

Thank you for the input once I'm able I'll update and hopefully do something correct.

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 01:46:44 pm
Grass is in my opinion the hardest thing to do...but doing small tiles like yours, it's not such a big deal, same with the trees :D

Important stuff about grass is the remaining grassy look and getting rid of some grid that appears when the tile is overused...
The best grass tile example is either SD3 or Sword of Mana...

I myself am working and redoing my tiles for my game I worked on ages ago and I keep having problems with grass or other repitative patterns :P
(from right to left (left being the current WIP)

Just saying, if you want a very good result, you should redo stuff alot, or make alot of designs, then stick with it.

For your palette problem, it always depends what kind of game you want, what atmosphere, what daytime...many factors influence the sheme...
Always think of the psychological aspects that your "game" has, what aimed target group, and whatsoever, if it's dramatic (working with strong highlights and other lightsources) and other kinds!

Aswell, a sidenote...don't detail your trees before they don't look "right" :P
Use primary colors to sketch them, sort of, and when they look right, keep the overall view and don't go too deep into detail to lose focus of the entire shape :o

But the more you practice, the better you get...I've done countless of tree/wood designs to improve

(started like this:)

Just make sure you fuse everything with the floor!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:55:31 pm by Elk »
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:54:00 am
Well.. I got a grass tile that i like.. just the way i did it would probably suck in the long run with doing other tiles to fit the style.
uhm.. Also.. Sorry elk.. I improved my tree stump.. and I borrowed your pallete for that.. i'm gonna change it. Only is temporary.

As for fusing the tree the the ground.. Hows that look?