AuthorTopic: Nurse Logo WIP  (Read 14222 times)

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Nurse Logo WIP

on: February 17, 2010, 04:17:47 pm
A freelance nurse friend of mine asked me if I could draw a logo for her group.
I decided to give it a try in pixel-art, since I don't know any other digital art technique well enough (and no vector art at all).

I'm not too sure about the design, it looks somewhat oldfashioned but I can't point why exactly nor find a way out.

At this point I'm looking for design advice, more than pixelling. Esp from those pro graphic designers around here! ;)

First doodle with dirty tools:

It incorporates the snake in the Rod of Asclepius; the dancing people are supposed to express the idea that they network at various levels: between them (they're a small 6-people practice in a small country town), with other health professionals and with their patients (usually going to patients homes and working beyond the mere medical acts).
Some refs I checked.

Offline twodayslate

• View Profile
    • twitter

Re: Nurse Logo WIP

Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 12:37:04 am
A pixel art logo... Not the best idea IMO.

Logos need to be printer friendly.
A good tip I try to follow is make a black/white version. If it looks good b/w then color it. This ensures it will print well too.

Why is there a white border? It looks like you just took an image off of google and very poorly took out the white background.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 01:03:00 am
I've gotta say that logos should always be vector.
Logos need to be small to fit on buisiness cards, or big to go on posters. You can't do that with pixel art.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 02:18:36 am
Yes, I'm aware vector would be the way, but as I said it's beyond me at this point.
The intended use so far is only as letterhead, and this only directly from their computer (no need/money for a professional print job).
Also, I'm doing this as a test and for fun. I'll do it best I can, but I'm not a graphic designer ;)

A good tip I try to follow is make a black/white version. If it looks good b/w then color it. This ensures it will print well too.

Thanks, I'll try that!

Why is there a white border? It looks like you just took an image off of google and very poorly took out the white background.

No! :D
I doodled the elements on separate layers, then free-transform-resized them for better fit, hence semi-transp border values. Sorry for not cleaning the mess, I'd rather do that when I'm set on a design.

Btw, the other 'dirty tools' involved are blending modes. I do not want the elements hiding each other; and I wanted to try several possible color interaction between them.
It will be all hand-pixelled over later.

Offline twodayslate

• View Profile
    • twitter

Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 02:29:28 am
My suggestion would be to mock the idea and give this job to a real designer then. That is unless your friends group is serious. If they are not that serious then pixel art may be just fine...

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 03:07:30 am
You don't have access to any vector-capable software at all ??? Not even the GIMP?

As for the design, I think that some more of a third dimension could help; i.e. making the part of the yellow ring closest to us non-translucent, as well as the snake over the arms and yellow. I guess I meant to make the figures the only translucent-looking element; in that same place with the hands, purple head, yellow ring and snake it becomes a bit of a hodgepodge.

And because I explained that terribly...

I like the design personally :)

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 03:41:17 am
Thanks Jeremy!

You don't have access to any vector-capable software at all ??? Not even the GIMP?
Oh yes: photoshop. What's missing is the vector-capable user.
I've barely doodled a little with vector tools, but I'm far from familiar enough with them to do anything serious yet.

I think you have a point about 3D feeling. That's my main question I believe: should I go for some shading / volume rendering, or for a flat abstract-like color composition?
Both are attractive. Maybe I'll do both! ;)

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 04:17:52 am
I think the ring and squiggly line should disappear behind the people, right now it is kind of confusing to look at.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 06:25:23 am
Something you could do is draw the logo using your pixel program, maybe twice the resolution, then use a vector tracing program. Inkscape should do, and it's free.

I think the design itself is pretty nice but it doesn't communicate medical to me. Perhaps try using some colours that relate more, red and white are the obvious choices. Definitely agree with NaCl on the ring and snake.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 02:40:04 am
OK, I'll keep that transparency in check for the next versions, thanks!

I think the design itself is pretty nice but it doesn't communicate medical to me. Perhaps try using some colours that relate more, red and white are the obvious choices.

Well, that's specifically one design request: nice warm colors, no cold distant big hitech hospital feeling which does not relate to how they work. The red snake is the closest I'll get to that, and even that red is not really red.