AuthorTopic: Treasure Chest  (Read 9576 times)

Offline twodayslate

• View Profile
    • twitter

Re: Treasure Chest

Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 03:31:52 am
It looks a lot better. I don't see anything wrong with it :)

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 09:56:15 pm
After some work I came up with this:

If nobody sees anything wrong with it then I think I'm done.
Hello past me.

First of all, there's been a marked improvement from the first post to what you came to. It's just... not really doing it for me.

First off, the wooden planks feel sort of pillow shaded in a way. It keeps getting brighter as it gets closer to the center, and it bugs me. It'd look a lot better with a bit more thought put into the shading.

The silhouette of the chest is also strange. The top section curves in some weird ways, and the bottom part lacks any points of interest whatsoever. Aside from the lock, I guess.

Speaking of the metal on the chest, it looks a lot more like plastic than metal. Sorry, but it's the truth. There's no contrast in the colors, you've been careful to make everything a neat gradient. While that does have a certain charm to it, it doesn't work most of the time for making good pixel art. It just doesn't look like metal.

On top of all of this, you're using a disgusting amount of colors for the small image you have here. 21, not counting the background? Wow, man. You should need a maximum of maybe 12 for an image of this size.

Overall, I'm disgusted and horrified by you, me.

In all seriousness, I saw this being used on a site as my avatar and I decided to make it not look quite as bad. It was a nice experience visiting some of my old work and improving it. It was even more interesting to come back to this thread and see how much worse it was, haha.
Anyway, I thought I'd post the update here for kicks.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:05:57 am by CrazyMLC »

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 10:08:49 am
I wouldn't AA to a white background.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 11:59:51 am
Eh, like I said I was using it as an avatar on another site (Twitter), and I had a white background on it before I came back and edited it.
The reasoning is white fits well with the color scheme I have on my page, that and the outline bothers me without a bit of AA.

I do see your point though, so here's a transparent background.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:11:02 pm by CrazyMLC »

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 12:14:30 pm
If you are still interested in critique, I
d advise making the light on the top planks come more from above, would make them more dimensional and less like they are receding vertically inside the chest.
Otherwise this is really delightful to look at, the colors are really fun and the brown-purple outline ties it together quite well.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 01:34:57 pm
Yeah, the shading is still a little wonky. I think I took one of many required steps in that direction with my revisit. I'll mess around with it a bit more, and thanks.

EDIT:
I think this might be a little better.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:03:19 pm by CrazyMLC »