AuthorTopic: Metal Slug inspired portrait  (Read 7562 times)

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Re: Metal Slug inspired portrait

Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 05:23:22 pm
Accident makes a good point. I don't think such thick hair would flow straight back like that, though. Here's my idea...

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 11:04:42 pm
Update:

Thanks for the crit. I really liked your edit Gliding.

keep the crit coming ;)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 03:22:10 am
First: an explanation of banding.

No offense, but I don't think the new hair works so well. It loses the silhouette and motion that the original had. The way I interpreted the picture was that she was wheeling around, which is why her arms are like that, and her hair's like it is. The hair implies the line of action in the original, though it could be emphasised and clarified.

The piece still suffers from a lack of form. Pillow shading is still rampant. When shading, try simplifying the subject into very simple 3-dimensional primitives. You have core shadow popping up all over the subject, which breaks any sense of form, flattening it.

Catch the motion in the jacket, hair, earrings, etc. Anything that's going to have inertia. Drawing with a full (though mine is incomplete too) pose is the best way to go, as you can properly define the figure and lines of action. Also note the core shadow running down our right of the figure (which would continue down the legs if I shaded them ;) ).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 03:25:03 am by EyeCraft »

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 12:03:35 am
wow awesome edit Eyecraft! Thanks a lot.
update:

I decided to go past 16 colors so I could shade the guns and add red to the face. I also took Eyecrafts suggestion of making it a full shot. I was trying to keep it 100x100 so I could make it my PJ avatar, but then I found out that the avatars there are smaller than that.

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 10:05:29 pm
Okay, update:

I changed the leg position and lengthened the legs. Someone on PJ said that the main problem is in the hips, but I don't know how to fix it. If anyone else sees the problem, maybe you could explain what's wrong? Thanks!

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 02:05:01 am
Eyecraft's edit addresses exactly those leg issues I raised on PJ! ;)

Look at the precise shapes of his legs, and their differences. Her right leg is just so slightly bent, this gives the whole feeling of how she's moving her weight. The other is bent too in a complementary fashion (wish I could explain that better!). The pants are also tight on the skin. The thigh's length is in the correct proportion (although his arms look short).