AuthorTopic: Aztec Warriors [WIP]  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Shrub

• Newbie pixel artist.
    • View Profile

Aztec Warriors [WIP]

on: February 05, 2010, 04:21:03 pm
I posted a WIP thread about this on Pixeljoint already, but the community here may be able to offer some different advice. (No replies on PJ yet anyway).

I want to make a collection of Aztec style warriors, maybe make a sidescroller mockup. But first I need to perfect the design of the first warrior.
(I'll post more if I get round to making them).

Oldest

Latest

Edited the face, helmet, sandals, shield, spear, and head-feathers.

I'm having a little bit of trouble with his face - not enough space to make him look... human.
The chest/stomach area also needs work.

It's worth mentioning that I'm a newbie at pixel art.
C&C appreciated. Edits are also welcome/encouraged.
Even if you don't have any contructive criticism for me, feel free to comment.
Any posts are nice :)

Shrub
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:11:26 pm by Shrub »

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Re: Aztec Warriors [WIP]

Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 04:31:20 pm
The feathers in his hat look very bland, and his shoes/booties/sandals look as if they don't match. And if you're going to outline the spear, it might behoove you to outline it all the way around.

Beyond that, though, great work! I look forward to the finished product. Certainly better than I could pull off.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline Shrub

• Newbie pixel artist.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 05:35:14 pm
Thanks, Olothontor, some great advice there! I'll try to think of a way to enhance the head-feathers.
It's very encouraging to hear praise, as well.

Anyone else got comments?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 10:33:32 pm by Shrub »

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 02:09:00 pm
Hey shrub, crits and edit:

I feel that your first problem is contrast. Many of your colors, especially in the skin are so close and they blend with each other and the result looks muddy and indefinite. I see you are adjusting hue, and this is good but don't feel that you need such a straight ramp. Different things have different kinds of ramps, skin often has the highest saturation in some of the middle hues. Don't be afraid to go a little crazy with your colors, in pixel art there are so few colors it is easy to modify them. Don't just do a straight ramp for everything.

If you're going to do a style with outlines, then outline! make the outline color far enough away from the others to make it clear that it is outlining the figure. When the outline color is too close to the skin shades, it looks like just another skin shade, but it adds no shadow information.

The legs look kind of bowed out, and those clodhomper shoes are not doing it for me. It is a common style I see in new pixel artists for some reason, making huge shoes but I don't like the look of them at all.

There is nothing that says a straight object must be at a mathematical 90 degree angle! In fact, if you have such a straight object like a spear, I think making it perfectly straight up and down is a mistake, it's boring.

The hat is not lit correctly, if you were going for feathers then it does not read like that, it looks like a jester hat.

Anyway heres the edit, I didn't even touch the hat, and the spear is just a line.

Anyway for someone new to pixel art, not bad at all. Keep up the good work.