AuthorTopic: Starwars Jedi  (Read 5412 times)

yosh64

Starwars Jedi

on: March 20, 2006, 11:25:36 pm
hey

thought I'd post this Starwars Jedi character I pixelled last night/this morning. I am pretty happy with it now, but I dunno, maybe yous will point out stuff and make me unhappy with it, hehe. :)

NOTE: latest at bottom of thread.

cyas
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 12:50:03 am by yosh64 »

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Re: Starwars Jedi

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 11:30:22 pm
Can't see it.
I.....am......me............

yosh64

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 11:46:47 pm
hey

can anyone see it? do yous even see an unloaded image?

cyas

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 11:51:50 pm
I do, and the eyes remind me of legos. :D
The light saber is a bit offset: move it sub-pixelly to the left a bit.
Left shoulder is weird. Shouldn't have that huge of a hump (if any at all).
Cape may be a bit short (no ref pic, but I'm sure that coat was longer).
Love his eyes, and his beard. Keep going. :)

yosh64

Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 12:46:53 am
hey

@Crazy Asian Gamer: thanks for the tips, I tried to apply and fix as you pointed out.

NOTE: latest at bottom of thread.

cyas
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 11:11:57 am by yosh64 »

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 12:58:10 am
Hm, maybe make the lightsaber a lightsource or something, or at least a more "lightsabery" color? Right now it looks like a white pointy stick. :D But you're on the right track! Keep it up!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 01:42:14 am
The saber is extremely jaggy. You might wanna consider some AA in there. Also, yes, setting the lightsaber as the lightsource would be a good idea.
Also, it doesn't really look like he's gripping the saber...more like just letting it rest in his hand. Make his fingers wrap around the handle a bit more for a stronger hold. You might wanna look up a bit more on your wrinkles.

Aside from that, it's good.

yosh64

Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 11:09:56 am
hey

thanks again for the feedback, I tried to fix the jagged lightsaber, and fix his grip. have not attempted another light source yet, think i'd might have to add some more colors though, hmm... would be cool though! :)

cyas
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 11:19:14 am by yosh64 »

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 11:44:37 am
not bad to start with... I've had a shufties and done this little edit...

I've manipulated the pallette a touch...added a blue tinge to most of the colors, Increased the instensity of the sword pallette... this makes it really vibrant and more neon like... I've also manipulated the left hand... added 'fingers' - always helps to make a pose more dynamic... I've flared the bottom of the robes too... to add movement... I also pulled the sword hand out a bit to increase the negative space between the body and the arm... (could do with more distance I think - couple of pixels over) and I pushed the head up a touch and modded the pixels around the face.

I've added a bit of lighting for you from the sword... It's not perfect but it's a push in the right direction for you...

keep up the good work, have fun and good luck.

Pete ;)

PS - oh and in retrospect I guess the light saber should be blue?  :-\
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 11:48:35 am by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline neverest

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 05:33:15 pm
does he have another light saber in his pocket or is he just pleased to see me?  :P
hehe the edit looks good but his crotch just seems to stand out to me, perhaps 'cause its the only bit of flat colour. I don't know if a bit more shadow might help?

Yosh64, I can't see any of the images you've posted, and it looks like im not the only one. Where are you hosting them?

yosh64

Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 08:51:47 am
hey

@baccaman21: thanks for your edit, I quite like what you have done. The orange light projected from the lightsaber looks very cool, I also like your changes to the colors. AND yea, the orange does look cool, but I also think it should be blue.

not sure when I will get around to fixing him as to your advise, kinda dabling onto some other things... but I do get the urge to animate this Jedi, but I dunno. :)

btw, I'm just using my ISP personal webspace... here is a direct link (http://www.supernerd.com.au/~yosh64/temp/Jedi1_wip722d.png), maybe I should find somewhere else to host my images. :-\

cyas
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 08:59:01 am by yosh64 »

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 04:21:12 am
baccaman did a great edit. The lightsaber should create ambient light on the character. Whichever color it is should have that affect on the character. It's a really hard concept to grasp (especially even for myself), but I think st0ven has some tuts at spriteart.com that explain ambient lighting on characters.

Overall, it's a good start. :)