AuthorTopic: Facial Anatomy  (Read 12950 times)

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Re: Facial Anatomy

Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 02:43:36 pm
The shading is obviously not complete, and needs a lot of reworking in areas.  However I thought I would post this as I'm too tired to continue working for tonight having just finished an exam.  Some opinions on whether this neck anatomy is looking alright would be appreciated.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline xiphirx

• herp
    • View Profile
    • For The Swarm

Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 05:44:55 pm
The shading is obviously not complete, and needs a lot of reworking in areas.  However I thought I would post this as I'm too tired to continue working for tonight having just finished an exam.  Some opinions on whether this neck anatomy is looking alright would be appreciated.

The throat is way too defined. You normally don't see every section of someone's throat. In men you would see the middle (Adam's apple)

Here is my edit:

I whip my hair back n forth

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 10:23:09 pm
Admittedly all the muscles, tendons, etc. of the neck still look like they are showing through the skin, but I soften it a bit more.  Just to show progress:

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 11:51:01 pm

so i tried touching i a bit, and i realize a lot of people are in this thread, but i thought i had a few observations to add.

first off i think i have to agree with helm that the light hitting the face is far too symmetrical and it makes it look a bit robotic. I just went with sort of an oncoming - slightly to the left light source i guess, and hoped that would allow for enough variation in where the light hits to make it look less symmetrical.

Next obvservation - immediately, the eye whites come through to obright. i think your third lightest shade is a bit too dark, and your second lightest skin tone is a bit too light (what you are using). So i edited the eye a good bit on the left side, but the way i shaded it would probably have been far more appropriate for the right eye. I tried a few combinations and i felt personally that putting the second lightest value in the eyewhite closest to the nose and the third lightest value on the outside eyewhite gave the most realistic effect.

I think the cheeks look a bit overshadowed in most of the renditions, it feels like unless the light source was close to the face and topdown (three quarter angle), the cheek bases would look just a bit lighter as they approach the jawline, where the drop off in value is rather quick, not gradual.

The skin above the upper lip i gave some more highlight to accentuate that feature and make it more pronounced as it usually is on people.

The eyebrows look too straight for comfort for me so i just added a tad bit of softening above the eyebrows edges to make it look slanted. this changed how i highlighted the brow structure on the forehead, and also added a bit of a dip between the ridges to depress that part of the skull a tad.

the hair - not really sure i like the dithering of the lightest value in that highlight area. instead, i think it would look more appropriate to make it look shiny first to indicate there is a skin covered scalp up there, and then just give it some hint of texture to indicate hair growth, but thats assuming youre intending the hair to look pretty short, which is how i interpreted it.

and lastly, for the nect i think it needs to be way softer than you are illustrating, looks like youve stripped off the skin to expose the inner tendons and tissue.

I dont think my version is perfect but i think that it diminishes the otherwise timid/scared look on his face into something a bit more relaxed.

hope this helps rather than not.

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 11:09:15 am
This looks like one of those pieces everyone wants to edit :P

Here's my take, palette is almost identical; it's more a look at it without dither.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 05:13:11 pm
Obviously a very unfinished update, however progress...

I can still see a lot of faults that need fixing up and a lot of cleanup pixel work.  However feel free to comment.
(Ignore the start of upper body)

Offline xiphirx

• herp
    • View Profile
    • For The Swarm

Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 06:45:55 pm
Obviously a very unfinished update, however progress...

I can still see a lot of faults that need fixing up and a lot of cleanup pixel work.  However feel free to comment.
(Ignore the start of upper body)

Something that has been bugging me from the start is that the eyes seem like they're blurred :/

You should try to make them stand out a bit more.
I whip my hair back n forth

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 08:55:55 pm

I like it! reading through this topic and watching your piece progress has made me think of a few things in regard to pixelized portraiture that I might have never discovered on my own.  :)

Is there any way that you can keep the spherical volume of the forehead, but reduce or lose the dithering? The reason i ask this is because the dithering on the forehead and the dithering for the hair stand side-by-side, and killing some or all of the forehead dithering would set it off a little bit from the hair and reduce overall graininess and would give a place for the eye to rest.

This is just a food-for-thought question, though -- nothing more than possible experimentation.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 11:04:03 am
I like it.

That said, the head and the upper body seem like they were made by individual people... the styles are different. I think this is because the body is unfinished, but oh well.

I can't put my finger on it, but something about the face still seems off to me.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #29 on: June 26, 2010, 05:24:07 am
A few more changes.

Progressing slowly.