AuthorTopic: Global Game Jam sprites  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Zerath

• View Profile

Global Game Jam sprites

on: January 29, 2010, 11:45:19 pm
Greetings from Finland! The global game jam is on, and the plan is to create a game in 48 hours. Our team started up a while ago, and after some design things and other stuff I even started on the main character sprite. I'm not sure yet if I can reveal the theme and our game idea anyway, but I can post my character here. It's pretty rough, and the game will look pretty rough as 1) I'm not that pro 2) 48 hours to all the art in the game is challenging. I just think that every bit of help is nice, and I'll be posting (hopefully) here every once in a while the whole weekend, and you shall play the game in it's whole glory on sunday. Platform is flash, pixel art and retroish music is the thing.

I'd need some advice on the shading, as I find it the hardest part. Also some rough cape animation, I shall make the guy, Awesomeman, doing some movement during the idle animation too.
Here's the start, wish us good luck!

Edit: Sorry, didn't notice the transparent background. Here's with good ol' white background.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 11:50:36 pm by Zerath »

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Re: Global Game Jam sprites

Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:37:25 pm
Looks good, but right now the sprite's a bit hard to read. Add more contrast between, say the suit and the belt/beginning of the pants. Also, the easiest way to do shading (as I'm sure you've heard) is to pick a light source. This can be particularly important, as in a game, if all of the sprites have different light sources, it turns out looking like crap. Pick a source and stick with it throughout the majority of the game.

The cape needs some shading too, while it's flapping around back there. You may also want to consider having a point at which the cape wraps around and attaches on the front, so it doesn't look like he has a green blanket flapping out of his... you get the point.

I look forward to Awesomeman's debut on the gaming stage. Good luck!
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline Zerath

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 10:49:16 pm
Thanks for the reply!
I'm sorry that I haven't posted things as I "finish" them, but forums aren't that great for this anyway cause 48h really should be like realtime advice.
Well, I've done some animations, and it's rough. Really rough :P Our game runs, it's playable at the moment but since it should be finished in 14 hours I won't post that WIP file, as the finished is so close. As for graphics, I really just rushed, and there are so many problems with these that it's not even funny :P But we like the game, and we already have our iPhone engine ready and another iPhone project, so we will port this, and that requires working out and finishing these sprites. So I really hope that you help me out here, even though I might not be able to fix them in time for the actual release, but I shall fix them later on, first finished Flash and then later on the iPhone version.

And how the game plays? You are the Awesomeman, a superhero with no superpowers, just cool gadgets like Batman. The theme was deceive, so his inventor deceives him, and some of his gadgets will malfunction as you climb the building. The gadgets are the jetboots, grabbling hook and the gliding cape. Point of the game is to get as far up as you can.

Here's some animations:
running animation, I kinda like how the legs move, but the problem is that the legs are different colour and I'd like to make it looping like, so it kinda switches legs. Also, I think the body needs some movement and where did this guy lose his other arm? What I do like though is the leg "silhouette" and the buttery arm wave :P

Jetboots
Our guy has a jetpack like boost on his legs, and this is how he rolls. The flame is pathetic, and shading etc.

Glide
Well... Uhm. Awesomeman can glide with his cape.

And here is a screenshot from the game, the background is crap, we don't even have a real tilesystem ready it's a fake :P Our own epic flash engine is truly epic, so fit for Awesomeman :P

PS. the music&sounds are EPIC

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 04:14:49 am
Doesn't look horrible, and it's certainly better than I could manage, especially in such a rushed environment. Great job!

The cape looks great in "glide mode", try and apply those general colors to all of the animations in cloth-esque ripples (if you have time, of course).
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline Zerath

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 01:51:06 pm
Well, the jam is over. This is what we got:
http://www.jannealeksi.fi/awesomeman/
Enjoy!

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 03:49:47 pm