AuthorTopic: learning by doing - pixelART logo  (Read 3698 times)

Offline BlackEye

• View Profile
    • blackeye.org

learning by doing - pixelART logo

on: March 20, 2006, 02:16:03 pm
hi there!

i created a pixelART logo out of the deviantART logo for dA quite a while ago

so... i've chosen a palette of 18 colors (white -> red -> dark purple, white -> blue -> dark purple) and i'm trying to create several "designs" with this palette.

here are the first 2

this is the latest. i spent most of the time on the background (you really should zoom in ;) )
i'm quite happy with the pA-logo. there are some issues (like it's not really round and i think the left side is too short).

i would be quite happy to receive some crits and comments on both images.
it's the first time i try this type of artwork -- so please be kind ^^
-blackeye-

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: learning by doing - pixelART logo

Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 03:29:21 pm
hey there blackeye...!

Good choice of pallette sir.

Love the background on the 2nd image... nice style choice using (essentially) chunky 2x2 pixels - I like that... nice touch. You're right though... it isn't round... pity.

Also I'd say you've not quite got the reflection on the rim lighting  quite right... if you look at my avatar you'll see that it's blending from the blue light into black toward the center of the face... perhaps you could consider something similar on the way you're applying the rim lighting on the logo?

The first one is weaker for me... not sure about the border? And If I were you, based on the technique you've used so well in the 2nd one... I'd suggest perhaps making more of the purpley/blue blobs fall from the logo itself... perhaps more emphasis.... I dunno... maybe not? The other thing I'd suggest too is the starburst effect you have as the arcing electricity is hitting the logo... I think you could emphasise that ALOT more... give it more POWER - perhaps drop the logo a bit, increase the length of the intial shock graphic, and make the impact bigger?

Just a thought or two... all in all though... good stuff!

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline BlackEye

• View Profile
    • blackeye.org

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 03:49:26 pm
hi baccaman!

thanks for you kind and long reply :)
i'll make an edit of the fire reflection based on your comment. :)

and thank you so much for the comment on the first one... i had no idea how to improve it :D
-blackeye-

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 06:23:42 pm
i like the logos, all are well done!!

I like the second and all the work with the 2x2 pixels (i also use 2x2 pixels in my logo :) )

But the blue color in the second logo i don't like very much. Seems the blue color of msx.

Offline ironwallaby

• the pixel artist formerly known as nem
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website

Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 06:28:57 pm
To be honest, I like the first more than the second. I think the second one looks great (and the palettes on both are perfect), but the broken curve on the logo in the second is what kills it for me. If you can fix that curve, it'll be perfect.

On the first, I actually think it looks awesome... the part I don't like for it is the horizontal glow at the very top center at the top of the lightning bolt -- it looks too pillowed to me. I think if instead of making it a linear gradient, you should try having a lot more of the darker shades than the lighter shades. Perhaps a little of those 2x2 squares can help up there too if used nicely.

I'm going to go take a closer look at this palette... it's so lovely. :)

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 07:20:06 am
 The letters will look better if you add a secondary light source or ambient light it.