AuthorTopic: The red Path of Madara Mock up  (Read 8628 times)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: The red Path of Madara Mock up

Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 02:18:33 am
Your composition lacks visual hierarchy. Everything has equal detail and value distribution. You need to pick your focal points of the subject and push their priority way up while surpressing everything else. Quickie:

Note the positioning of the character, sky line, road and rocks. The character is at vertical and horizonal 1/3rd lines in the composition, the rocks sit primarily around  midpoints in the image, deprioritising them a little, sky sits in the top 1/3rd of the image, road comes from the bottom of the piece and follows the direction of the rocks and character, then turns back into the picture to lead the eye up to the sky.

You seem to have chosen a very tricky lighting environment. Green hills in a red ambient light should actually end up very dark and desaturated (I think...?).  I pushed the green a little more towards red and grey in some places, but now that I look at it, it should probably be taken a lot further towards a dark, warm kind of olive, yellow and/or grey. The green is really popping out the most at the moment since it complements the vivid reds.

I added the rocks as a kind of suggestion. They share the relatively cool greys and fleshy highlights that the character has, which to me creates a conceptual relation between them. Both are harsh and unyielding, both are directed forwards to the bloody sky. Whatever you choose, though, you should make sure theres enough visual interest in the piece to break any repetition. Otherwise the eye is just going to skim it.

The lighting in mine is kind of messed up. There's 2 basic sources, the red horizon and something off top left. I kind of like the strangeness of that, it feels alien, but really it'd no doubt be stronger if you just went with one or the other.

Also, why are you posting your WIPs in that giant white frame with half of it empty? Just post the piece itself.

Keep going :)

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 02:42:26 am
Your composition lacks visual hierarchy. Everything has equal detail and value distribution. You need to pick your focal points of the subject and push their priority way up while surpressing everything else. Quickie:

Note the positioning of the character, sky line, road and rocks. The character is at vertical and horizonal 1/3rd lines in the composition, the rocks sit primarily around  midpoints in the image, deprioritising them a little, sky sits in the top 1/3rd of the image, road comes from the bottom of the piece and follows the direction of the rocks and character, then turns back into the picture to lead the eye up to the sky.

You seem to have chosen a very tricky lighting environment. Green hills in a red ambient light should actually end up very dark and desaturated (I think...?).  I pushed the green a little more towards red and grey in some places, but now that I look at it, it should probably be taken a lot further towards a dark, warm kind of olive, yellow and/or grey. The green is really popping out the most at the moment since it complements the vivid reds.

I added the rocks as a kind of suggestion. They share the relatively cool greys and fleshy highlights that the character has, which to me creates a conceptual relation between them. Both are harsh and unyielding, both are directed forwards to the bloody sky. Whatever you choose, though, you should make sure theres enough visual interest in the piece to break any repetition. Otherwise the eye is just going to skim it.

The lighting in mine is kind of messed up. There's 2 basic sources, the red horizon and something off top left. I kind of like the strangeness of that, it feels alien, but really it'd no doubt be stronger if you just went with one or the other.

Also, why are you posting your WIPs in that giant white frame with half of it empty? Just post the piece itself.

Keep going :)

wow thats amazing..
it's not really what i had planned on my mind,
the rocks are rlly nice, idk if i can add it to mine but ill try..
the reason i have a squre blank it's because ill be adding the in game there soon so i want the sizes to be the same because ill make an animated wip later on.
Thanks for the tips.. ill see what i can do :/ this basically throws off everything i have done.

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 02:17:42 pm
okay so this is my latest version so far..
will keep working on whenever i can since i broke my nose and hurt my hand a little during speed skating practice

Gladly thanks for the help of all my fellas from PJ

Offline twodayslate

• View Profile
    • twitter

Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 11:31:30 am
The new background/sky is amazing! Huge improvements! :)

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 02:04:15 pm
I think perhaps adding an overall general shade of grassy color with tufts here and there would look much better than just blanket detailing them.

Just a thought. Beyond that, your progress is awesome. Keep it up!
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 10:41:37 pm
This is the project done

Offline Rollerkingdom

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 11:06:15 pm
Comments on the final piece would be great after 8 days working on it :)

Offline CaKsTeR

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 11:10:40 pm
Looks very nice, in my opinion, but in the second piece the back of the character blends in with the tree trunk behind it, causing a bit of a readibility issue. The hair could also use a little touchup/shading, as it looks a bit flat currently.

Keep up the good work!