AuthorTopic: 8-bits level wip 4  (Read 17535 times)

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile
    • allaze-eroler's deviantart

Re: cave mockup [WIP] (update and C&C needed)

Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 09:06:15 am
hello folks, it's been a while i didn't come here ^^; i was quite busy with my family and making my portfolio. well, lately, i started to spend more time to work on my portfolio project. :)

there my current work of my fake nes game.

for moment, it's kinda empty but it's already a good start :)

any critism and comment please ? :)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: 8-bits level wip 1

Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 02:13:32 am
If you intend it to resemble a NES game, you'll have to acquaint yourself a little more with the NES's restrictions on graphics.

You'll need to use colours from the NES palette, and you're limitted to how many palettes you can make, and how many colours are in those palettes, etc. Your tiles and sprite currently break these restrictions.

Aside from that, character lacks contrast. Pick a strong highlight and a strong shadow and shade according to a lightsource. This will lend contrast and a sense of form to the subject.

Why not try some secondary motion, such as having the tail trail behind the motion of the main body of the figure? Or the raised hand trailing behind in motion. These kinds of things can add a lot to the impression of real physical motion.

What kind of environment is this set in? The ground looks cool, but what is it meant to be?

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 07:12:57 am
The main thing for a nes game is really that three colors+transparency each 8 pixels.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 12:50:55 pm
If you intend it to resemble a NES game, you'll have to acquaint yourself a little more with the NES's restrictions on graphics.

You'll need to use colours from the NES palette, and you're limitted to how many palettes you can make, and how many colours are in those palettes, etc. Your tiles and sprite currently break these restrictions.

Aside from that, character lacks contrast. Pick a strong highlight and a strong shadow and shade according to a lightsource. This will lend contrast and a sense of form to the subject.

Why not try some secondary motion, such as having the tail trail behind the motion of the main body of the figure? Or the raised hand trailing behind in motion. These kinds of things can add a lot to the impression of real physical motion.

What kind of environment is this set in? The ground looks cool, but what is it meant to be?

ack... i though i could set up my ow 56 colors.... well, i guess that i don't have the other chooise to use them... ho well... ^^;

for the sprite, there a certain limit that i can use ? i know that i should use a 8x16 and 8x8 only. so, how can i redo them without losting the detail ?

for about the animation, i will try to improve it a bit more but since it's limited to 4 frames per move, it will be kinda hard ^^;

edit : i forgot to mention it, i wanted to make in kind of outside place near the forest... for moment, the background is awfull lol ^^;

The main thing for a nes game is really that three colors+transparency each 8 pixels.

i knew it, i took extra attention on the number of color, i should use 3 color per 8x8 tiles.

by the way, there the new progress of my little animation :

any critism and comment please.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:53:00 pm by allaze-eroler »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: 8-bits level wip 2

Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 03:16:49 pm

here's an edit to make it look a bit more 8-bit/oldschool, I wasn't following any nes restrictions though, just an attempt to emulate the aesthetic

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 07:27:31 pm
for the sprite, there a certain limit that i can use ? i know that i should use a 8x16 and 8x8 only. so, how can i redo them without losting the detail ?

Yes. You can have 64 on screen at once. And you can only use sixty-four 8x8 sprites, or sixty-four 8x16 sprites. My quick and dirty (read: probably incorrect count) means your big dinosaur on the left is twenty-four 8x8 sprites. I assume the one on the right uses less, so you're good for now, but you still couldn't have much else on screen. I didn't check how many 8 x 16 sprites it would have been, because 8x16 sprites are fickle, and end  up using space normally reserved for your background tiles. If you want a sprite that's shorter than 8x16 (for a bullet or something) and you're using that mode, you have to leave a tile blank in your background tiles. Not many games used that mode.

Another problem is you can only have 8 sprites in the same horizontal line. Any more and the NES simply won't display them unless you manually flicker them. Your game would be pretty flicker heavy with such wide sprites. But there's at least one official Ninja Turtle Fighting Game that uses larger sprites than yours and flickers constantly. It's not... THAT bad.

i knew it, i took extra attention on the number of color, i should use 3 color per 8x8 tiles.
Actually it's 3 colors for sprites. You get FOUR colors per 8x8 tile for backgrounds, but one of the four colors must be the same in all your background palettes. If the trees were the same color as the grass, I think I could make it work on NES without the HUD in two palettes, and with it in three, or four (but... you only have four so most other things in the level would have to use these colors without tricky level design) depending on if the dinosaur head and number are sprites or part of the background. With the trees as they are now, I can't immediately think of a way to make it work on a real NES, but that doesn't mean it's not possible, or that you should change it. You're doing fine for just the aesthetic.
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 04:23:39 am
No, there are sprites with 4 colors, MegaMan has 5, and the contra guy has 4.

Anyway, for the most part, as long as you use the NES colors and use 3-4 colors a sprite/background and keep the resolution, it'll look like an NES game. You don't have to complicate yourself too much with minor details.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 04:30:17 am

Anyway, for the most part, as long as you use the NES colors and use 3-4 colors a sprite/background and keep the resolution, it'll look like an NES game. You don't have to complicate yourself too much with minor details.
That's because you think of a "sprite" as "one movable character", but NES sprites are 8x16 at max. So whenever you see more than 3 color on a character, that's simply because the developers used actually several sprites for one guy. They're still limitted to 3 colours per "square" unless you "overlay" multiple sprites to increase the colour count -- which noone would do unless having serious trouble retro-porting SMW or DKC2, imho.

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 05:13:54 am
I should have specified I meant hardware sprites. That is what I refer to when I specify a specific 8x8 pixel area. (That, or a tile) There are never more than three colors in a hardware sprite.

Beat to it by PypBros, but I'll post this image anyway since I spent a little time on it.

Sometimes I do wish there was another word for a sprite that is not a hardware sprite. Layering is possible, and a good idea if you have sprites to spare. The bad part is this also counts against the eight sprites per scanline rule.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 05:17:03 am by Kasumi »
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 09:20:23 am
wow... i learn alot of new thing that i can't quote them all ! XD

anyway, i did a major update in her design and landscape, i found out how to handle it, there the progress :

for moment, i'm still thinking about the critter, should i keep it and change her size or should i draw an other critter in order to replace it ?

any critism and comment please.