AuthorTopic: Zombie Tower Defend game (W.I.P)  (Read 10646 times)

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Zombie Tower Defend game (W.I.P)

on: January 26, 2010, 11:08:13 am
I'm trying out some visual styling for my new zombie game... so here's some sample of the characters.

There's 4 character here, sharing the same color scheme till I get the styling right. They are, Man in spects, Cameraman, Biker and zombie.
I'm mainly trying out the way the guy holds his gun for the Man in spects. Tell me what you think.

Anyway, I was refering to the game - "chaos engine" for the view, but the style is completely different.
Does anyone knows where I can find more reference for this view? I haven't started yet, but I find the animation kinda awkward just thinking about it.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 06:03:54 am by Tobe »

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Re: Top-down zombie game (W.I.P)

Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 06:22:59 pm
Bahaha, I like. Love the messed up teeth on the Z.

Not a huge fan in general of the wide-crotch look, though. It's bearable on the first three guys, but really overdone on the biker. I might also suggest making the glasses on the first guy taller by a pixel, just so they clearly read as such. Weapon-wise, glasses guy's top-view pistol grip is a bit weird, mainly because his straight arm is tilted so far center. For something with so few pixels to play with, I'd either go full-on isosceles (both arms straight out), or a weaver grip (similar to the Chapman, but both arms remain bent). If you go with isosceles, though, I'd still recommend offsetting the right foot backwards a pixel or two.

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 03:42:42 am
I thought I'd wait till I receive more comments before I reply but... lol. The forum seems to be less active then usual. Or is it just my thread?

Lotekk, thanks for the comment. I've tried fooling around more with what you mentioned, but I couldn't seems to do it right. But I'll post again when I have decent update on the characters.

Anyway, I'm changing this and making a Zombie TD instead. Has been working on the GUI and environment. The Characters are all place holders atm, but let me know what you think of it.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 10:39:44 am
Love the style!  Looks really good on background. Just a couple of things I noticed:
  • Careful of your (inner top right) corner pieces, the shadowing doesn't make much sense where it's on the wall.
  • Skeleton debris is brighter than your streetlights too, something to be mindful of.
  • I'd maybe reduce your grungy frame's colours so it gels with the pixel art a bit better too.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 12:58:07 pm
I would increase the contrast between the top level and the zombie corridors so that the difference in height is more noticeable.  If you just briefly glance or squint your eyes, all of the characters pop out but the top level fades towards the back, making it look like everything is on the same level.

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 01:54:31 pm
Neat!

I'll second the depth issue. Initially, I saw a street & pavement. The wall's value needs to differ from the floor's more.

Also, the entire backdrop is too dark - I think when you work on something for a while, your eyes become completely accustomed to the brightness or lack thereof. It's happened to me before.

Offline JDog053

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 05:13:31 pm
Those sprites look alot better in a game scenario! Good luck with this project :D

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 12:34:55 am
Minor Update :

I took the advise to tone down the skeleton. I tried to brighten things up a little, but I couldn't bear to push it as much 7321551 did. But let me know if its already better.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 12:51:40 am
I was just about to post that there were some serious priority issues going on, but I'd say that's mostly resolved now :) Maybe the humans on top of the walls might be a little hard distinguish from the zombies and the overall picture, though, but definitely an improvement.

Offline twodayslate

• View Profile
    • twitter

Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 02:38:53 am
I have to agree with Dusty. The sprites are too similar... hard to tell who you are (if you didn't have the giant red circle I guess)

but the game looks super fun! :)