AuthorTopic: [WIP] Adventure Game Sprites (New Character 9/7)  (Read 14408 times)

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Adventure Game Girl

Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 10:02:46 am
Still looks like she's leaning forward; try moving her left foot one pixel to the right and see if it helps. Also, the shading for that right leg (our left) looks less consistent now with the direction the foot is pointing.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 03:07:32 am
I, personally, don't see her tilted too much in either direction. Even when I mirrored it.

I also made an edit, just to try to polish her a little more since she still seems a little rough.

The first thing I noticed was that the boobs are a little robust. It's not an inherently bad thing, just I felt that you lost sight of her hips a little bit, and missed out on some extra curve. Deflating her lady parts might push you to try to find that curve.

Her shoes seem a little poofy, and they take up a lot of the attention that should probably be reserved for her face. While I did play around with them a little bit, I'm not sure if they turned out all that good.

I decided to forgo the mouth because I couldn't find a nice, low-profile equilibrium.

Pants and legs have always irked me, since in real life, you don't have such a harsh shadow below the knee and to the shoe. I've been fiddling with different approaches a lot, and I think I found one that works for me. I'm not sure if it's just my personal preference though, so yeah.

Her walk looks a little bit mechanical.

Not much change since you've got a great walk already, I just tried to make it feel more natural.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 09:44:34 am
Updates:

FRONT VIEW LOOKS BAD! >_<

Sorry I've been updating so infrequently and sporadically! These sprites are for an ongoing project which has been set back repeatedly. Thanks for the critique, Kclik. I tried to emphasize her hips more (as per your suggestion) and added more lighting to her lower legs. Hopefully both areas are improved. The front facing sprite is really giving me trouble.... I want to make the stance seem natural, but not so asymmetrical that it's blatantly incongruous with the other directions, which will be mirrored. Any critique (edits are always nice) would be greatly appreciated!

On a separate note, the darkened background shoe in the walking animation seems wrong in the context of the set... I think I'll change it to white. Sound good?

Thanks,
Wex

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Adventure Game Girl (Full animation set)

Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 02:50:03 pm
White shoe:

Y/N?

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 02:52:24 pm
Have it be darker when passing unde her.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 06:09:00 am
Do you mean I should have her body cast a shadow on the shoes? I'm not sure how I could do that while keeping the style consistent and without adding an extra color. (The gray is a bit dark for that.) If you'd like to elaborate, I'll consider making adjustments, but as of now I'm fairly satisfied with the white shoes.

In other news, new NPC! I'm having some trouble getting the talking animation right.... He's meant to be speaking through gritted teeth, holding his cigar in his mouth.

PS: I could have sworn I started a thread for this guy a while ago, but I couldn't find it anywhere.  :yell:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 06:40:53 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Re: [WIP] Adventure Game Sprites (New Character 9/7)

Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 08:19:32 pm
The only thing that bothers me about the walk is the lack of a straight leg. It looks like she's skating.
gemini://thedaemons.space
https://thedaemons.space

Offline VDX

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 12:29:42 am
There's nothing wrong with the old man.
Somehow he reminds me of Stan Lee O.o
However, put them both together and then look, is he a giant by a chance or is the woman just small?

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 01:32:26 am
@VDX: Yeah, the girl is supposed to be very short. Thanks for the compliment! :)

@thedeamon: Crap, I see what you mean... Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have time to go back and change that. Must soldier on ahead. Thanks for the feedback, nonetheless!

I'd just like to reiterate, the forward-facing sprite is what I could really use some critique on. The rest I'm pretty satisfied with....
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 01:25:41 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline MagicPixel

• It's a kinda magic.
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: September 12, 2010, 03:36:16 pm
Very good, better than anything I could do.  ;)