AuthorTopic: Hegagons viewed at an angle  (Read 9696 times)

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Re: Hegagons viewed at an angle

Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 05:42:18 pm
You got someone to code it?
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 05:50:44 pm
The left column looks correct to me. Not sure about the D tile, though. As far as I can see, you used the width to height ratio 2:1. But the slope is 4:1 and not 2:1 - maybe it's intentional. A 2:1 slope would look too close to the topdown-hex-tile (in my photoshop experiment I have a 8:8 w/h ratio). In your painted example you used a 3:1 slope which works really nice.
If I understand you correct, your going to paint the tiles bigger and then resize it (and eventually fix it up). If that's the case, a 2:1 slope is not so important (like when you would pixel it from scratch), so it's only about having nice slopes/edges to make seamless transitions?

Your new painted tiles works well. Did you eyeball the "correct foreshortening" or did you use some distorted cubes for reference?

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 06:46:08 pm
Oh, I should've mentioned, the squeezed hexagons are scaled versions of the top down ones, so I haven't drawn anything myself. D is just a compressed E.

I paint at 500%, or rather, I paint/draw at 100% and scale down to 20%. No pixel optimization other than the mask and some minor cleanup. The clean slope now is mostly  important because of clean tiling and edge lines, perhaps selection boxes hexagons. It also makes the masking job structured and easy. Right now I keep the mask and edges in separate layers, so I can tweak my large scale image whenever I need to, and then pop the down scaled version in underneath the mask, without having to re-mask everything.

Yeah, I just eyeballed the tilt of the tower and trees here. If I need to, I could consult a box model.

I haven't thought about coding yet. This is just a test to see top-side view hexagons feel.

I really don't wanna draw 2^6 edges for beaches, rivers and roads. Thinking about a pie-slice system, an on the fly visual effect (based on adjacency) rather than an actual tile in the array.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 08:59:37 pm
Some thoughts on the pesky road, beach-river problem.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 05:17:15 pm
I've added my little adventure here onto my Skeleton Wars page.